Spey Pages banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to try the Airflo FIST compact skagit this fall. The comments I've read here are either use the same weight typically used or subtract 30 grains from what ever is currently used with my rods. I have been using a Airflo Skagit 570 24.5 ' head and it works well enough on two of my 8 weights, I'd like to use the FIST line to slow things up.
I just want to buy one to try out and see how it goes. Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.

·
Registered
RL Winston, Loop Classic, Hardy Perfect
973 Posts
I love the FIST lines. Basically, you just have a longer sink tip. They cast as well as a regular skagit. I use the 510 on my 7 weights, which is the same as the floating skagit switch I use. It's fine in that same weight for me.

·
Premium Member
3,897 Posts
I use exactly that weight FIST (570) on my 7/8 MKS, and the same weight on there in a full floating skagit head as well. As mentioned above it is almost exactly the same line in terms of both taper and local gr/ft, so very similar casting characteristics, as the corresponding skagit. The sinking parts tend to be narrower and have (marginally) lower wind resistance relative to the corresponding regular skagit head, and depending on the local conditions some people do notice that it cuts through the wind a little better. It could be very noticeable using the old full intermediate skagit heads.

You are probably %100 safe with the 570 or the next weight down, so not to worry.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I like going even lighter. I fish a 525-550 floating Skagit and a 480 FIST on the same rod. Casts like a dream.

·
Registered
256 Posts
If memory serves an older thread on here had Tim Rajeff responding that the line was designed to use the same weight that you would for a skagit head, ie: do not deduct grain weight. I couldn't fine the thread but I read it recently 😜.

·
Premium Member
3,897 Posts
I forgot to mention
If memory serves an older thread on here had Tim Rajeff responding that the line was designed to use the same weight that you would for a skagit head, ie: do not deduct grain weight. I couldn't fine the thread but I read it recently 😜.

Yes, absolutely. And of course if you look on the Airflo line charts the recommended weights are the same for both. There is certainly a huge room for explaining tastes, and individual likes on different rods. However much less rational basis I can figure out for why someone could “like” a FIST ~50 gr lighter that the floater. As pointed out above it’s very nearly the same head from the weight distribution perspective. For the RAGE - that other all caps four letter word head - 510 would be pretty nice on the same rod.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I forgot to mention

Yes, absolutely. And of course if you look on the Airflo line charts the recommended weights are the same for both. There is certainly a huge room for explaining tastes, and individual likes on different rods. However much less rational basis I can figure out for why someone could “like” a FIST ~50 gr lighter that the floater. As pointed out above it’s very nearly the same head from the weight distribution perspective. For the RAGE - that other all caps four letter word head - 510 would be pretty nice on the same rod.
I initially tried stepping down in grain weight because I heard Brian Silvey, the guy who designed it, saying in an interview that's what he prefers. Just so happened to work pretty good for me, too. As to why? Go fish.

·
Premium Member
3,897 Posts
I’ll have to try it then. I don’t have a lighter one but do have an 8/9 that uses a 630 FIST usually and can try the 570 on that. People did say one step down for the older all intermediate skagit heads more consistently, but never could figure that one out either.

·
Fly Away
98 Posts
I love the FIST lines. Basically, you just have a longer sink tip. They cast as well as a regular skagit. I use the 510 on my 7 weights, which is the same as the floating skagit switch I use. It's fine in that same weight for me.
I use a 510 gr F.I.S.T on my 7 wt also and love the way it casts.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I never understood going down in weight. if your rod likes 510grns use 510grns. I have full intermediate line and FIST lines and use the same grn weight as the floater!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I appreciate all the perspectives... Personal preference seems to be the common response in this thread...
all very practical insights that I thank you for... "almost exactly the same line in terms of both taper and local gr/ft, so very similar casting characteristics, as the corresponding skagit"...
My initial thought was to stick with the 570, but as it turns out I found the FIST heads for $40 US a piece out of Ireland and decide to get the 540 and the 570 thus allowing me some flexibility.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
525 Posts
I never understood going down in weight. if your rod likes 510grns use 510grns. I have full intermediate line and FIST lines and use the same grn weight as the floater!
The additional sinking portion provides additional sink. That is the rationale.

Frankly, I don't notice it much with the 540 grain FIST head I use, relative to a full floating Skagit head in similar if not identical grain weights.

But I do notice it with a full sinking Skagit head. A lot. Shorter and lighter is definitely the way to go for those heads.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts