Spey Pages banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I and one million other David Anderson's are on the no fly list.

Fortunately, a friend of my wife advised us to carry our new passports as identification instead of our California Driver's License.

We will be buying her dinner for that advise. I had copies of my birth certificate, Ca Drivers license, Military Discharge, Naval Security Group Top Secret/ White House Clearance and some other iders. I added a copy of my new passport (issued since 9/11 and my old copy) in a glassine presentation folder.

Once my wife and I got past the check in counter in departure and return, we were directed to the TSA security people. On our departure the lady saw the copies of passport copies. She asked me to pull them out. She looked at them for about 20 seconds, and told us to go on to the gate. She said the other data was checked with our last Passport application. Neither of us had any body searches nor any other questions. There was even less hassle on the way back with the passports.

I carried my two fly reels and my son's Able, loaded with backing and lines and even leader in my carry on. They were never looked at by the screeners. One at Sacramento wished me good luck. TSA agents at both places said that I could have carried my flies with me. The TSA people said, I could have carried my rods in a Sage or Harter rod/reel case as my carry on luggage.

My rods were shipped via UPS, and they are heading back via UPS. I may try the rods and reels in their carry on case my next trip to save on the UPS shipping costs. I will continue to send boots, waders, shirts, and fishing clothes and knives via UPS.

Security is very tight with no allowance for jokesters and those ignoring the no liquid/gel and other rules. I like to profile passengers since I don't get sued for doing so. I picked out 3 quys in Phoenix while we waiting for our plane for Sacremento. All 3 got held back and searched and finally let on the plane. I missed an 87 year old WWII Vet who got searched and two young women who were told to leave the plane with their lip gloss and other non allowables.

·
Steelhead Dreamer
462 Posts
The first thing one should do if flying is check out the TSA website where they clearly explain what can and can not be carried onto a plane. Those items they recommend you carry with you include fly boxes and flies, reels, rods, and other expensive non-lethal gear. In fact, the rod problem is not of TSA most often, but of airline personnel sometimes objecting to it in the overhead bins.

However, if you have sinking lines, sink tip lines or weighted heads you should check them or be prepared for a hand search of your carryon and a body screening as the Tungsten used in these products triggers an alarm in the xray scans. If you are going to carry them on you may wish to bag them together in a separate plastic bag that you take out and have xrayed separately like your laptop is and packaged such that visual inspection can identify them.

Another item that gets even your checked luggage hand searched is Jam or Jelly in glass containers with metal lids.

Regards,

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"However, if you have sinking lines, sink tip lines or weighted heads you should check them or be prepared for a hand search of your carryon and a body screening as the Tungsten used in these products triggers an alarm in the xray scans. If you are going to carry them on you may wish to bag them together in a separate plastic bag that you take out and have xrayed separately like your laptop is and packaged such that visual inspection can identify them."

Thanks, I wasn't aware of this. I only had floating lines on my reels. The Rio sinking tips were in my check in luggage and UPS box.

·
Registered
23 Posts
In traveling to King Salmon, AK, and back a couple of weeks ago I just checked all my gear in an aluminum gun case with TSA approved locks and this worked fine. I take out the foam and fill in the space with fleece and other clothes. Other guys in the group who started from various US destinations carried on rods and reels with no hassle whatsoever. I'd guess more than half the guys in the Anchorage airport (other than the cruise people) were carrying fly rod tubes.

I looked into shipping gear by UPS but found out (thanks to a guy at the counter who grew up in Anchorage) delivery dates beyond Anchorage are problematic at best, no matter what the computer says back in the lower 48. "2nd day" might mean "2nd week" and it might mean "5th day" without any predictability. The lodge owner indicated a lot of gear was shipped by some clients, but that it was sent at least a couple of weeks in advance.

·
Registered
445 Posts
............went through Washington-Dulles on Labor Day afternoon,one of the TSA people at the concourse door was sleeping standing up,the other was locked in a trance staring at her feet. Once on the plane,a lady was looking for something in her purse. She pulled out lipstick,liquid makeup,and some other stuff in tubes,but never found what she was looking for.:tsk_tsk:

·
Registered
131 Posts
On my recent overseas fishing trip I had so many airline nitemares it may prevent me from ever going again. I had planned to put in a separate thread on the fiasco but it got too low on the priority list of things to do.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Air travel with fishing gear

Based on my experience in August with TSA and two Canadian airlines, four piece spey rods and reels loaded with lines (including sink tip lines) are allowed carry-on items on both U.S. and Canadian airlines. Steelhead flies can be carried on U.S. airlines, but not Canadian airlines.

Harding and Sons (located in Oregon) makes rod cases to the buyer's specs at reasonable prices. Last year, they made a case for me that is just barely long enough for my 4-piece spey rods. It holds four 4-piece rods, and fits in the overhead compartment of most planes. See hardingandsons.com

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,550 Posts
I agree that Harding and Sons made great cases. I have 5 of them and feel they are the best for spey rods ever. Unfortunately, I believe they went out of business within the last year.

UPDATE -- I just followed up with a phone call and was pleased to find that they are in fact still in business. Apparently they tried to retire and sell the company last spring but so far they are still turning out cases. Sorry for the misinformation.

·
loco alto!
3,226 Posts
Last year they relocated from Glide (where they were located next door to Munchies, Home of the Colon Daredevil) to scenic Roseburg, right near I-5. The frontroom isn't much to look at, but they do have piles of one-off items for sale on discount.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Terrace to Vancouver

Yesterday I checked in at Terrarce [Air Canada Jazz] with a carryon containing reels and fly lines. The reels with fly lines were OK but the separate fly lines had to be placed in checked baggage.

Many folks carried on rods with no problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.