Spey Pages banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a little over a week, I hope to be doing some Tarpon and RedFish fishing in N Floriduh.

Neither my Meiser 9/10-3 Switch Rod nor my son's semi one/two handle 9' Meiser 10/11/12 4 piece will fit in a standard overhead carryon luggage. Actually neither will fit in standard check in baggage, which can be another serious issue. A fly rod travel case screams high $ gear inside. All a theif needs is a TSA key to open the TSA lock. Then, the rods/reels and other expensive gear can "disappear" :saeek: at the departure or arrival airport.*

So my Rods are on their way via UPS to Floriduh in a shipping case with a Harter two rod holder inside the case with the rods. I now have an account with UPS/Office Depot so I don't have to go through all of the computer entry bs hassel. Next week I will got an official UPS station and buy a prepaid return pickup label for my return trip. That way I can have UPS pick up the rods and the other gear at the hotel's front desk and avoid the hassle for their trip home. As of now Office Depot can't do the pre paid round trip shipping labels, only a UPS office can do that. I'm sure that will change in the future.

*Besides not fitting in regular luggage that goes into the cargo hold, my son told me not to do that. Apparently a lot of gear is disappearing either at the check in sites or the destination sites. Fishers are losing their rods, reels and lines. Also, my rods are insured at replacement value with UPS. You "ain't" going to get that from an airline, :mad: and good luck with claims these days.

TSA as of this week will allow you to bring your reels and lines in your carry on luggage. So my 2 reels, my son's big Able and my lines will be in my carryon luggage with the TSA printout stating they can be carried on.

With the hassles/problems/issues noted above, I see a big market for all rods one and two handed that will fit into our carry on luggage. Also, the need for UPS or FEDX to ship our other gear to where we are staying.

A friend, who is new to Spey Casting, bought one of Gary Anderson's 5 weight 12' five piece rods at the Speyorama. This friend travels all the time. If he wants to bring his new toy, it fits in his carry on in a case with the reel and line.

I know that Meiser, Anderson and T&T make two handed rods that can travel in the plane with us. As this air travel gets stickier and more problems happen re theft at either end of the trip with our checkin luggage, there will be more demand for travel rods that fit in our carryon luggage.

We will probably still need to set up UPS/FEDEX accts to simplify the shipping rods and other flyfishing gear to and from our destinations.

·
Banned
974 Posts
FWIW - I carry on 4 piece spey rods without a problem. Last year I started a thread about carry-on rod cases. I ended up purchasing the Sage 4" x 43" tube (it holds 3 rods, up 13'6"). I have used it on commercial flights four times since then. Most of the time the TSA guys ask where we are going fishing. It helps to get on the plane first so that the tube can go to the back of the overhead luggage compartments.

- David

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does the Sage tube count as your carryon luggage?

Dornblaser said:
FWIW - I carry on 4 piece spey rods without a problem. Last year I started a thread about carry-on rod cases. I ended up purchasing the Sage 4" x 43" tube (it holds 3 rods, up 13'6"). I have used it on commercial flights four times since then. Most of the time the TSA guys ask where we are going fishing. It helps to get on the plane first so that the tube can go to the back of the overhead luggage compartments.

- David
I have a similiar tube that Bob Meiser sold me. In fact it is inside the rod carrier case on its way to St Augustine with my switch rod and my son's blue water Meiser rod.

Does the Sage tube count as your carryon luggage?

I need a carry on suitcase to carry my two meds I need each day, tooth brush and a change of clothes incase my check in luggage went some place else.

Also, what do you do with your reels, lines and flies? As I noted my reels and my son's will be in my carryon luggage,

Thanks. Most of us are in a learning mode re long rods and air travel.

·
Banned
974 Posts
Yes, the tube counts as a carry-on. I also carry a messenger bag with laptop and/or reels.

- David

Remember, toothpaste is a no-no now. If you are not going to check luggage you need to pick-up toiletries when you land.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info

Dornblaser said:
Yes, the tube counts as a carry-on. I also carry a messenger bag with laptop and/or reels.

- David

Remember, toothpaste is a no-no now. If you are not going to check luggage you need to pick-up toiletries when you land.
We are going to look :Eyecrazy: and smell pretty bad if our check in luggage doesn't make it to JAX. The toothpaste, shampoos, anti pers.,and other recently banned personnel hygeine products will be in our check in luggage. We get into JAX late at night.

My wife and I can share a carryon and use the Meiser 3 rod holder/case as my carryon on the return trip. I will give my friend my. big rod shipping case. I will still have to use UPS to return my fishing clothes, shoes and misc. gear.

Is your messenger bag one of the light weight bike messenger bags?

·
Banned
974 Posts
Another comment, we use one of the FishPond (other companies make similar products) bags that holds waders and boots on the bottom. The mesh surround allows you to put in wet waders and boots without a problem. That duffle holds a lot. That bag, which is checked, allow us to take enough gear to fish for three days, even with a change of fleece for two each day. That duffle (checked), a rod tube (carry-on), a messenger bag (carry-on for books and lap tops) plus one more checked bag allows to go fish for three days and be gone for a week.

Specialized luggage is a wonderful thing.

- David

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
This thread is moving in an interesting direction for me--away from rods specifically to luggage in general. I have been wrestling with the whole "what to take on a fishing trip" issue for years. It's good to know that the feds are relaxing about reels and lines as I've been checking those since a friend had a bad experience after 9/11 and I'm always nervous about them not showing up on the other end.

When I went to Malbaie recently I used my Patagonia Freightliner Max and the pack part of my Patagonia Packvest as my carryon bag. I had a bunch of video and audio gear with me as well and I was bursting at the seams but managed to get everything there and back without incident. I like the idea of bags with mesh bottoms for wet waders and boots but worry about the mesh catching on something once I check it. So I just go lo-tek and take along a couple of black garbage bags for the wet stuff on the flight home.

I still take too much stuff with me though and usually end up bringing clean clothes back home...

·
Banned
974 Posts
Dana,

My goal is to come home with one clean set of clothes. That means that I did not encounter one too many rain storms, slips in the river, etc. :chuckle:

- David

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Dornblaser said:
Dana,

My goal is to come home with one clean set of clothes. That means that I did not encounter one too many rain storms, slips in the river, etc. :chuckle:

- David
I remember a trip to the Dean in '98 or '99 where it rained the whole time we were there (but the river didn't blow out, which was fortunate) except for one afternoon. I turned my waders inside out hung them to dry over night...and of course it rained over night so the insides were completely soaked. There was no way we could get dry that week so we eventually just gave up and learned to enjoy the damp. I guess we found it ok in the end because we managed to hook a pile of fish.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guilty of overpacking, here.

Dana said:
This thread is moving in an interesting direction for me--away from rods specifically to luggage in general. I have been wrestling with the whole "what to take on a fishing trip" issue for years. It's good to know that the feds are relaxing about reels and lines as I've been checking those since a friend had a bad experience after 9/11 and I'm always nervous about them not showing up on the other end.

When I went to Malbaie recently I used my Patagonia Freightliner Max and the pack part of my Patagonia Packvest as my carryon bag. I had a bunch of video and audio gear with me as well and I was bursting at the seams but managed to get everything there and back without incident. I like the idea of bags with mesh bottoms for wet waders and boots but worry about the mesh catching on something once I check it. So I just go lo-tek and take along a couple of black garbage bags for the wet stuff on the flight home.

I still take too much stuff with me though and usually end up bringing clean clothes back home...
After a couple of trips where I was at least an overnight from home and ended up needing more clothes, a different rod/reel/ line and flies often with no place to buy replacements. I have just decided to over pack.

As a result, even if I drive, I have used FedX or UPS to ship bulky stuff to where I was staying and returned it the same way. When my MIL was alive, we would take her along on some of our combo vacations. It worked out very well. She and my wife would sight see, shop and visit the local art stores while I fished. The downside was all 3 of us over packed. So I would send waders, fleece and other bulky items via UPS. On longer trips, we often would send a UPS box for each of us.

Another fly fisher told me that he and others have been carrying their rods/reels in the Harter or Sage combo cases. Like Dave Dornblaster has done without his reel. The only problem is a lot of people look at the case and act like they have a gun case. If this works, that might be the way to do it. However you still lose the option of your overhead baggage carry on if you use one of these cases.

Travel rods that fit into the overhead carryons may still be the best option.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
TSA Web Site re Fishing Equipment

for hunting and fishing equipment [copied 2006Sep3]

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1188.shtm

"Fishing

"Fishing Rods / Poles - Fishing Rods are permitted as carry-on and checked baggage. *However, please check with your air carrier to confirm that it fits within their size limitations for carry-on items. Ultimately, it is the carrier's decision as to whether or not it can be transported as carry-on baggage.

"Spear Guns - Spear guns are prohibited from carry-on luggage. These items should be packed in checked luggage. Any sharp objects packed in checked luggage should be sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to baggage handlers and security screeners.

"Tackle Equipment - Fishing equipment should be placed in your checked baggage. *Some tackle equipment can be considered sharp and dangerous. *Expensive reels or fragile tackle such as fly's should be packed in your carry-on baggage."

My advice is to caution re fishing flies, as I know of no carrier that allows fishing hooks in carry-on bags. Air Canada's web site prohibits "sharp objects" from cabins. [http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/airport/baggage/carry-on.html]

Air Canada was the only post-9/11/2001 air carrier I encountered that prohibited reels with lines as carry-on baggage, but changed policy and has allowed reels with lines in carry-on bags since 2005.

As I am headed for Terrace shortly, I will appreciate late-breaking information regarding more restrictive carry-on policy by Air Canada.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Bob and others
I'll be on the phone tomorrow with my contacts at AirCanada and will post the results as soon as I get word.
Cheers

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Bob
I apologise for taking so long (yesterday was labour day)
First of all Air Canada or any other carrier wasn't responsible for refusing the reels and lines as carry-on after 9/11 it was the security agency that was the culprit.The "reasoning " apparently ,and I'll quote the idiot in charge at YUL at the time " the flyline could be used to strangle someone ".Got THAT cleared
the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority is now in charge of passenger clearance at major Canadian airports and are a major improvement .That being said (and I didn't say it here so don't quote me) their employees who are applying rules to the letter EI : labour dispute ??.
Go to
http://www.catsa.gc.ca/english/travel_voyage/list.htm#sportinggoods
and you'll notice that you CAN carry all fishing stuff on boardexcept forthose cunning/devious and so obviously dangerous fish hooks ,which I was told does includes flies .
enjoy the fishing

·
Registered
271 Posts
Salar-1 said:
you'll notice that you CAN carry all fishing stuff on boardexcept forthose cunning/devious and so obviously dangerous fish hooks ,which I was told does includes flies .
enjoy the fishing
Great link to be aware of, thanks. Could you point me to where it says reels etc are allowed in carryon? I only read 'fishing poles', searched the doc for 'fish' and only got the one match and read through rest myself. Thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts