Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
speaking of castaholics anonymous, who here is an air caster? fess up!

when walking around at work, or especially at home, I sometimes knock out a quick air-cast just to feel the groove. Always a spey cast, never single handed.

The single spey and perry poke are my most common air-casts.

I've been working on my forward stop. It's quite good when air casting, feels good and clean.

freakin' consumed by this stuff :Eyecrazy:

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I must admit to it... :eek: my most common locale is in the car at a stop light. I have got some strange looks - but once a guy responded with an air doublespey of his own :hihi:

·
Registered
147 Posts
it's called spey-chi

I do spirals and singles mostly

funny thing is i can actually feel the rod load and unload and i know if it would have been a good cast or not..

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tip, no fear, you can skagit-air-cast as much as you want without worrying about RSS - unless you strip in between casts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hmm...not sure about admitting to this, without people seeing me...but in the hallway, in the office, but usually not in the car...I not only spey cast, but shoot 3's (45%!), hit backhands, even bowl on occasion. But I don't worry about people seeing me, because, well, I just look so skilled doing any of them!:D

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Been doing it for 20 years - first as a single hander, now as a double hander - folks at the office just sort of ignore me now but I still get "Catch anything yet!!!"

When I used to teach casting classes I would recommend this to all my class - good casting has much to do with muscle memory and this really does help as long as the guys in white coats don't get you!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Fess-up time

I've been a closet "air casters" for years now but feel some freedom to come out and fess-up to my addiction. I'm surprised I haven't been caught out in the open by now. Many times I catch myself doing a double or snap-T while standing in the checkout line. Even at a stop sign I'll catch myself air casting and shooting a perfect 145' single spey. I enjoy air-casting cuz every cast is perfect, each cast incites an big grub and it didn't cost an arm and a leg to get there. Air-Caster unite.
Klem,....................::::::::::::::::::::::::>

·
Registered
55 Posts
guilty

I too am a closet air caster. I have caught myself even air fishing; mends and all.......really. I'm with Rob, I really can feel the load on the imaginary rod and even feel my fingers compensate for shooting line.

Sspey great topic!

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
I pretty much stick exclusively to the forward stroke, whether single or double hand air casting. The hard part is avoiding the "white man's overbite" and head banging...

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I recently graduated from Air Casting to Walking Stick Casting

I keep one or two rods with the reel section and a connected reel with a line to practive the moves around the house.

Last summer while recovering from shoulder and bicep head injuries, my PT suggested that I practice these air casts without a rod butt section and the reel to keep from reinjuring myself. That started me on this trail.

Later he suggested that I use my Oregon walking/wading stick with a wrapped handle that resembles a 5' bottom section of a spey rod. I'm now addicted to taking the walking stick on my walks and practicing spey casts with it. I prefer the walking stick to just plain air.

With all the rain we have had this winter and spring, the stick/air casting is as close to casting on water as I could get.

Last but not least, the stick is great to keep away or whack dogs which are not on a lease when they try for a taste of Gramp's legs.:saevilw:

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
spey cast dance

air casting is so JV.

one evening, at a gentleman's club, after a large amount of jack & cokes, a group of us couldn't resist movin' to the music so we decided to return the favor (if you know what I mean). the perry poke polka. although at times we decided to add an extra move (kind of a snap like move) which i like to call the wombat waltz.

·
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club
387 Posts
NrthFrk16 said:
air casting is so JV.

one evening, at a gentleman's club, after a large amount of jack & cokes, a group of us couldn't resist movin' to the music so we decided to return the favor (if you know what I mean). the perry poke polka. although at times we decided to add an extra move (kind of a snap like move) which i like to call the wombat waltz.
This is just plain wrong. Not just ruining good Jack with coke but the whole thing is wrong.

Sparky you need help.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
I see a lot of us are "coming out of the closet.":hihi: One of my 'faults' is forgetting to keep my elbows 'high' 2 handed casting as well as the proper forward snap/stop.

"Practicing" did get more than a few odd looks when I worked at the bank.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The Secrets are Out!

I found this old gem searching for something or other, and couldn't resist bumping it back to the top.

I too air cast, and yes, they really do fly like no other:chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:

·
Scandi & Skagit Hack
319 Posts
I thought I was the only one...............:hihi::hihi::hihi:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts