Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is very bad news for outfitters, staff, guides, pilots, and the anglers who populate their camps. I hope it gets sorted before the fishing season.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Which year ? (semi half ass-d- I wish it WAS a joke LOL )

·
Registered
316 Posts
Yeah, and sadly I, I don't think the Goose Bay stop (nor any of the others) is coming back this year. Even if cross provincial border travel is permitted this year, I can't fly anywhere near any of my planned destinations (Gaspe in June and Labrador in July) because of flight cancellations. Gaspe I can drive to (dreadfully long drive for me), but Labrador just isn't doable by car in any reasonable way from Toronto. PAL charges an arm and a leg, and with so many cuts, it'll even be hard to get to a city that PAL flies out of to get to Goose.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Surely the government will have to do something here. You can't have entire parts of the country cut off from the rest? I know there's a road to Labrador but is that even practical?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Surely the government will have to do something here. You can't have entire parts of the country cut off from the rest? I know there's a road to Labrador but is that even practical?
Technically, you can drive from Toronto to Goose Bay, but at ~2500km, much of it without any services at all, and across some pretty rough, unpaved "highway", the drive would be a tough 2-3 days each way, not factoring in the reasonable possibility of a break down. Formerly, I could catch a morning flight, and be having a beer in Goose Bay in 5 hours.
There is another road route to Goose, but it is only accessible by ferry from Nfld, which is itself an island requiring a ferry to get to. Reserving a spot on the ferries became very difficult last year, probably only worse this year (if one could even get into Nfld as a non-resident).

Some feel that the cutting of routes is a negotiation tactic by the carriers to get government support, but it's hard to argue that anyone is flying right now, and that the airlines aren't hemorrhaging billions quarterly. Even once air travel resumes, it will take a long time to rebuild the routes.

I had been optimistic back in December that with vaccination this year that Labrador might be achievable this year, but not so sure now. Starting to think about local alternatives as contingencies.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Last summer some of my friends drove from Halifax through Newfoundland and into Labrador (Goose Bay) to catch charters into camps. That's about 17 hours drive time, an overnight ferry plus a 2 hour ferry into labrador; others chartered flights directly from Halifax to Goose Bay, but admitted that it was not an inexpensive decision. Both options demonstrated commitment!
The Gaspe was shut for us here in Atlantic Canada unless you wanted to return and isolate for 2 weeks...I gave that some serious thought, but decided staying married was more important. Silly me; I am fond of the other half of all my stuff. Right now, I am just hoping that the vaccine roll-out moves considerably faster/better than forecasted; we need our governments to hit this with the same speed as the plague. They are saying that every Canadian wanting a vaccine will get one by early autumn, but what about our summer salmon season? Just today our PM suggested the idea of a "vaccine passport" doesn't make sense. I am concerned that without a "passport", the National borders won't open in time for fishing season. That's going to hit the camps along the Restigouche again, as most are controlled by American interests. This also affects us who are fortunate to have time in those camps booked. I think I am ready for anyone to talk me off the ledge...I need to fish.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Yeah, and sadly I, I don't think the Goose Bay stop (nor any of the others) is coming back this year. Even if cross provincial border travel is permitted this year, I can't fly anywhere near any of my planned destinations (Gaspe in June and Labrador in July) because of flight cancellations. Gaspe I can drive to (dreadfully long drive for me), but Labrador just isn't doable by car in any reasonable way from Toronto. PAL charges an arm and a leg, and with so many cuts, it'll even be hard to get to a city that PAL flies out of to get to Goose.
Troy, Pascan still flies to Wabush , 7 Iles , Gaspe , Bonaventure and Mont Joli .They are based out of YHU just south of Montreal . VERY reliable and professional service .There are a couple of other companies ,but IMO Pascan is the best .

·
Registered
316 Posts
Troy, Pascan still flies to Wabush , 7 Iles , Gaspe , Bonaventure and Mont Joli .They are based out of YHU just south of Montreal . VERY reliable and professional service .There are a couple of other companies ,but IMO Pascan is the best .
View attachment 375028

Thanks Brian. Ann also put me onto PASCAN air last week. Looks like that's the way I'll (hopefully) get to Gaspe this year. I've managed to secure a bunch of good reserved sectors this year, so hopefully COVID-19 is under better control, and there is a decent run of fish!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts