Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
200g OPST Commando w/ 9' 5wt
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ahoy!

Been lurkin' here for a while now and figured it's time to join :) I'm actually planning on building a rod this winter and hope to find some guidance here. I have zero rod building experience but I am a full time woodworker and have plenty of tools and material to whip up all the necessary jigs and what not. I'm starting to put together my list of hardware but I'm pretty set on the 11' 3/4wt Angler's Roost IM-6 blank. I look forward to turning the reel seat.

I've been messing with the OPST Commando 200g head on my 9' 5wt classic trout and it's fun for sure, but have not really given it enough time.

Soft hackles have always been a close second to dries for me. With streamers right behind. I will fish a nymph as a dropper but bobbers just aren't fun to me, nor is a euro rig. I do enjoy a tight line on a tenkara rod. Something about really being able to really lock in and feel the drift. Kinda reminds me of bein' in the pocket on a wave. I reserve that for tiny stream exploration.

I'm typically swingin' flatwings in the surf here in Brooklyn or stumbling around the Croton watershed about an hour north.

Any advice on whether I should build this rod or just ride with the spooled up OPST in my pocket? Regardless of advice I will probably build this rod cause it's cheap and I love building stuff, but I'd love your advice regardless.

Have a good weekend :)

·
18 foot spey rod DV8
187 Posts
Ahoy!

Been lurkin' here for a while now and figured it's time to join :) I'm actually planning on building a rod this winter and hope to find some guidance here. I have zero rod building experience but I am a full time woodworker and have plenty of tools and material to whip up all the necessary jigs and what not. I'm starting to put together my list of hardware but I'm pretty set on the 11' 3/4wt Angler's Roost IM-6 blank. I look forward to turning the reel seat.

I've been messing with the OPST Commando 200g head on my 9' 5wt classic trout and it's fun for sure, but have not really given it enough time.

Soft hackles have always been a close second to dries for me. With streamers right behind. I will fish a nymph as a dropper but bobbers just aren't fun to me, nor is a euro rig. I do enjoy a tight line on a tenkara rod. Something about really being able to really lock in and feel the drift. Kinda reminds me of bein' in the pocket on a wave. I reserve that for tiny stream exploration.

I'm typically swingin' flatwings in the surf here in Brooklyn or stumbling around the Croton watershed about an hour north.

Any advice on whether I should build this rod or just ride with the spooled up OPST in my pocket? Regardless of advice I will probably build this rod cause it's cheap and I love building stuff, but I'd love your advice regardless.

Have a good weekend :)
Welcome to the site. Spey and fly fishing in general offer so many interesting aspects and niches to explore that my advice to you would be to follow your instincts and indulge your passion. Keep us informed of your progress.
Regards from the Restigouche....Jim

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Keep the 5 wt and build the Anglers Roost. Have both!! As far as stumbling around the Croton watershed there are some very large fish up there. Big rainbows and some stellar mousing for tanker brown trout at night. When I used to commute between New Jersey and Massachusetts I’d always stop by the Croton on my way south to let the rush hour traffic on the Tappan Zee/287 subside. It’s a great place to kill time and have some fun. BTW welcome to Spey Pages.

·
Registered
200g OPST Commando w/ 9' 5wt
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Looking forward to participating in the wealth of knowledge here.

GHalliday, I’m well acquainted with the big girls of the Croton system. Its a really special spot. I have my favorite streams but they’re all generally pretty great and hold some hefty wild browns. I have one run in mind that I love swinging through. I’ve been day dreaming about sending a sculpin for a ride through it with a two hander.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Chuck, first, very warm welcome and glad you joined. I could make some lame jokes about Brooklyn, but you could easily bury me with similar crap about New Jersey! I too am a woodworker and look forward to your rod build. Might want to go to the General forum and post some pictures of the process. I am sure a lot of us would love seeing pcitures and reading sommentary. Again, welcome aboard. Rob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts