Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a new spey rod, mine is too much like a broom handle. Any good rods for around 200$ these days? Cant afford too much more than that. thanks.

·
SRO Direct Dealer
578 Posts
Affordable Spey Rod

What rod and line do you currently have? Maybe all you need is the correct weight and design of line for your style of casting.

My son has a 14' Cabella's and he likes it alot. He purchased the combo of rod, reel and line. The WindCutter 9/10/11 works great.

Rich

·
Registered
96 Posts
AFFORDABLE SPEY ROD? YES SIR!

hey Skyrise, send me your e-mail address and I'll send pictures and details. Thanks for the considerations.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the cabela's rod, 14ft for a 9/10. Using a triangle taper multi head line. I can cast ok with a floater or light tip. Have a terrible time casting a type 5 or 6 tip. Compared to the sage we used in casting class this rod is too stiff for me. Cant afford a sage though. The rod just feels dead to me. Is not the cabela's rod not a st croix? thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
After trying a friend's 14-foot Cabela with several lines, I found it to be unusually stiff and powerful for its length and line rating (9-10). It took a DT11 to properly harness it.
I believe the Cabela spey blanks are made by St. Croix, but I think this model is noticeably different from the 14-foot, 9/10 SC.
I have a rod built on the 15-foot Cabela blank. It has a decent, medium -fast action, and also matches with a DT11; I haven't tried the 15-foot St. Croix.

·
SRO Direct Dealer
578 Posts
skyrise

I have a St. Croix 14' 9/10. I have two WindCutter lines with tips. A 8/9/10 and a 9/10/11. I can cast a #6 sink tip off the end of the 8/9/10 Upgrade with ease. I just do a roll cast to get the tip on top of the water. I do not have an upgrade for the 9/10/11 but have cast a #6 sink off the regular #2 tip, with the #2 tip removed and with the 8/9/10 Upgrade. I origionally had a 7/8/9 WindCutter which didn't load the rod as well. I added the Upgrade which helped. The 8/9/10 with Upgrade of the 9/10/11 with tips workes well for me.

My son has used Cabela's 5' Polyleaders on his WindCutter and they work OK.

Hope this helps.

Rich Williams.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts