Spey Pages banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys . I will soon be a proud owner of my first double handed switch rod (TFO) 7 wt to be exact . It will come with skagit head but I would like to get also a regular Spey line for it when I'm going to fish surf in FL with smaller flies. I would like to get your input on what fly would you guys recommend for this type of rod. I have never owned switch so it is a completely different game for me. Your input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have fished A lot with switch rods. Personally I find scandi or skagit shooting heads to be best as they are shorter heads than the spey lines and cast better with the shorter length switch rod.
For surf casting I would magnet you would be over head casting and from my experience a Rio outbound short or airflo 40+ one size up casts really well
Sorry I cannot be much more help

·
Registered
372 Posts
Welcome Bigfish1,

For rivers, skagit and scandi are the most popular. Spey lines are long belly lines, and are best suited for long rods(13'+). You can get a switch line, which is like an in-between spey/single-hand casting line. But does neither the best. I think the best line you are going to do sustained anchor casting or touch-n-go casts is a 31-34' Scandi. Airflo use to make a Tactical Steelhead, which is 38-39', which is can be done with practice. But on a shorter switch rod it gets tough to cast longer belly lines (40ft+).

If you are talking overhead casting, Rio recommends an Outbound WF8 for the TFO 7wt switch. You can do a forum search, or wait for the more experienced crowd to chime in. Hope I helped a little.

Avio:smokin:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Appreciate replies . Now, if I would go with Rio or Airfo one size bigger would I need a reel which is a size bigger as these lines seems to run thicker than regular trout lines? Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the TFO DC 7 switch rod, which I use for shore fishing lakes. This is overhead casting. The rio outbound short is an excellent line for this kind of fishing. I would suggest however that you also consider the outbound short shooting head. Having the option of floating, or sinking heads can be handy. If you go with the one piece line I would suggest an intermediate head. Just my 2 cents.
As for flies in the salt, (I fish for stripers in New England with heavier fly tackle) some kind of baitfish pattern is hard to beat. Think clousers and EP type flies.
Good luck!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Appreciate replies . Now, if I would go with Rio or Airfo one size bigger would I need a reel which is a size bigger as these lines seems to run thicker than regular trout lines? Thanks
It depends which reel you have. One size up in the trout scale should not make too much difference. Once you try scandi or skagit lines to spey cast then these are thicker and you may need a bigger reel as a result

1 - 6 of 6 Posts