Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Beulah switch rod, OPST micro spey w/ Marquis, Echo DH
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To start with, I ran across SpeyPages looking for something specific then lurked for a month or so, finally joined ~5 months ago. All of you spey finatics are completely to blame for my addiction to absorbing all of the insight found here. You are also partially at fault for the acquisition of new equipment and dipping into my retirement funds...but at least it is for things that I can use in retirement!

Here is where I'd like your help. I just bought an awesome vintage reel in great condition. In viewing pictures before I bought it I could tell that the length of the foot was not going to be a problem on my Echo rod. Other reels like older Hardys have the very long foot which some people have filed to fit modern rods - I am definitely preserving the condition of this reel. I found that the foot is a bit too wide to fit properly in the seat hoods on the Echo, much to my disappointment. Below I have listed a few options that I have come up with and included my thoughts of what I can do on each one. I would greatly appreciate input on those that I came up with or additional ideas if you have them.

I can update with pictures if it helps, but I don't think it is required. The foot on the reel is 2 5/8" long and isn't the problem. It is 5/8" wide while the hoods are 9/16", I need 1/16" on each side of the hoods to make the reel fit properly. My modern reel I used to use has a foot that is 1/2" wide and has a little wiggle room from side to side until tightened down. Here is what I came up with on this site and elsewhere.

1. Modify the reel, either filing foot or acquire a new foot (no way I am going to file it, and I'd rather not be altering originality of the current foot)

2. Replace the reel seat on the Echo, need to ensure it would fit vintage reel (I have zero experience but I have watched videos and also searched for replacements, I would want to keep this inexpensive but I am afraid most would not fit and something like what Meiser offers would work great, but at a price)

3. Work with the smallest metal bit that Dremel offers to remove 1/16th x 1/16th of hood material on each side to get the width I need (while free, there is some risk in this one where there isn't a lot of room for error here)

4. Buy a new rod, already have a moderately priced one...might as well be a Meiser (this continues the slippery slope of my new addiction, perhaps if people suggest this one they will donate to a GoFundMe that I should start)

5. Other suggestions or experiences?

Thanks everyone!

Jim(bo)

·
Registered
552 Posts
What Vintage reel did you buy? The reason I ask is you can buy a nice vintage reel that is only valued at $100 or less so modifying the foot is not really going to impact the reel value. I have a Milward Flyranger reel where I modified the reel foot to fit modern rods. I also have some old Hardy Perfects where I machined a new reel foot to fit the rods and changed the foot keeping the original unchanged.

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
2,172 Posts
Yes, an answer would depend on the type of reel. Some reels have an easily removed foot such as most Hardy's. Some Young's also have a removable foot. Many are difficult to switch but not impossible in the right hands. The option of a new reel seat would also entail a new handle. You mention it's an Echo rod. It likely could do with a nice handle. Not a terribly expensive operation in the right hands and it's an opportunity to customize the look.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks you guys, two to consider more deeply. The reel is an Alex Martin Thistle, a Perfect style reel. The brass foot does have four flathead mounting bolts. I could go this route and save the original foot for the future. Not sure of approximate costs. Was definitely leaning towards reel originality through rod modifications. Maybe an entire handle is a better approach (again, not sure of approximate costs). Echo handle is OK enough for now, but if there was a reasonably priced upgrade that would benefit both the rod and the reel.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Talk to Steve Godshall. You can get ahold of him through Meiser's shop. He can re-handle and seat it to your specs, and you'll end top with way nicer cork, for less then the new foot.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Talk to Steve Godshall. You can get ahold of him through Meiser's shop. He can re-handle and seat it to your specs, and you'll end top with way nicer cork, for less then the new foot.
This sounds like the winning solution thus far, and I appreciate the referral. I did see his name mentioned on another posting a few months ago. Thanks so much! :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I believe your reel is a Dingley.
I'd email Bill Archuleta and ask him if he has a narrower reel foot that will fit a Dingley reel.
A Dingley it is. I will check this route as well. Funny, all these guys are right in close proximity and along the Rogue River (Meiser, Godshall, Archuleta). Thanks(y)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts