Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, I'm new to the spey casting and I just recently came back from the Cattaraugus using my Loomis GL3 14 8/9 wt. I did manage to get into a few steelies but man did my shoulder pay for it.

Can anyone recommend the lightest spey rod out there in a 13 to 14 ft length in a 7 or 8 wt.

Thanks

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Give the CND Solstice 13'4" 6/7wt and 14'3" 7/8 IM8 4-pc Spey action rods a wiggle. They are so light you can high stick the belly of the line over the near current if desired without taxing the shoulder.

It's more than overall weight that can cause strain - another aspect is weight balance, another is flex profile. Two rods of equal weight can feel heavier in the hands depending on these factors. To emphasize this, imagine holding a rod by the tip and wiggling the handle.

Other things that cause strain are not related to rods at all - for instance wading at a depth that forces the arms to be bent to keep the rod out of the water. This causes a lot of unnecessary strain over the course of a run, a day or a week. Learning to use alternate casts that reduce backcasting requirements will allow an angler to wade shallower keeping the arms relaxed.

As far as ultra-lightweight Spey with steelhead power in a size that matches the Catt, the CND Solstice is definitely in the short list in my (albeit biased) opinion. But don't take my word for it, give them a test cast for yourself!

·
Registered
562 Posts
If you are looking for a rod primarily for the Catt I would a have to reccomend the Thomas and Thomas 1307. It casts very sweetly and effortlessly. On the Catt you can line it with either a WC 6/7/8 or 7/8/9. It will handle tips well and makes Lake erie steelhead very sporting. If you want something that will allow you to move some bigger waters like the salmon river the 1308 is a nice move up. I am an average caster at best and I can move an entire WC head with leader easily all day and not be sore or tired at all with my T+T. I also recently casted Flylogics 7 weight and although I havent had the chance to fish it, it cast very nicely.

Good Luck
Gillie

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey thanks guys for your recommendations, I will definately give these a look. This rod will primarely be for the Catt and maybe the Grand. Like I said I just started, 3 times out, and I am getting the hand of casting, not sure what the casting style is. Depending on what side I'm on, for instance, if the flow is from right to left, I would swing it upstream to my right, then across to the left have the line lay in front of me, bring it back to my right then cast out.

If the flow was left to right, I would, pull across to my left side, then to my right and cast.

I would guess I was casting about 60 to 70 ft at best. I think I was ok, but I did get carried away one time, and now I have a hole in my waders. :chuckle:

I think price will be a major factor in this decision, but I hope I'll be able to find something.

Thanks again,

Glenn

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Peter,

I was considering keeping it for the Grand but I really don't like the weight, I had a 15 IMX with my centerpin in the early 90's and I used it for 2 seasons and it collected dust till a few years ago, I sold that and I bought my first fly rod. I liked the length for fighting fish but it just wasn't worth it banging the river all day when I can be using something lighter. I''m using a 11-6 GL2 and I love it for floatfishing. Nice and light.

I am leaning towards the CND for now, but I haven't found a distributor yet here in Toronto.

I will check the st. croix site.

tx,

Glenn

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, my buddy has a 12 ft sage 7 wt, and that thing is light, I know its shorter and lighter, another friend just has a T&T 13 ft 8 wt and that is light. Even holding the rod broken apart you can feel the weight of the rod.

Don't get me wrong I can use it all day with a little discomfort but if there is something lighter out there, than why not use it. :)

I emailed Loomis to get the specs for that rod, I'm guessing its going to weigh in at about 12 oz.

I want something in the 7 or 8 oz range in 13 or 14 ft length. Thats doable isnt it? :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For real? Then maybe my reel may be the culprit. Going to check my rod now. I have Penn 4 International. I know she's heavy.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Peter, you are right! The rod is not that heavy, its my reel. I need to find a light reel. I balanced the rod with my daughters little size 4 shoe and it feels nice.

OK, can you suggest a reel that will match my outfit? You just saved me about 8 or 900 bucks. :)

·
Speyladdie
429 Posts
snoryder.
contact me off line or phone,519-740-3442 and we will get you out on the river to try some of the smaller rods out to see what you need.
Speyladdie :smokin:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey thanks, I think I found my weight problem. It my reel. The rod itself is pretty light. I think I'm going to sell the reel and buy a new one and go from there.

Thanks for your help. I will keep your number for future reference.

Spey on...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts