Spey Pages banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am considering using zonker streamers of about [all included] 0.9 grams (= 13.9 grains) on single hooks size 6 to try on my new 9' 5/6wt rod with a 6.2 meter 185 grain scandi shooting head (3D: float, hover, sink3) + 5 feet of tippet, underhand style (lack of room for a proper overhead backcast).
I am still a beginner at fly fishing, especially underhand style; do you think those streamers would be too heavy to cast on my equipment or can I safely try?
How heavy do you think I can go as far as flies?
Thanks a lot in advance for your answers

·
Registered
101 Posts
Your line seems to be light to me for that size of fly. When you try it, make certain that you have a stiff but section and 2 ft of lighter tippet. Wear a hat and glasses. Make certain to keep the rod tip and line off to the side down wind. Let us know how it goes for you.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi,
I am considering using zonker streamers of about [all included] 0.9 grams (= 13.9 grains) on single hooks size 6 to try on my new 9' 5/6wt rod with a 6.2 meter 185 grain scandi shooting head (3D: float, hover, sink3) + 5 feet of tippet, underhand style (lack of room for a proper overhead backcast).
I am still a beginner at fly fishing, especially underhand style; do you think those streamers would be too heavy to cast on my equipment or can I safely try?
How heavy do you think I can go as far as flies?
Thanks a lot in advance for your answers
I would switch to the proper skagit line. I think you'll frustrate the hell out of yourself otherwise--even with the next size scandi. You should be able to cast a 250-275 skagit on that rod.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,
Thanks for your advice. I did try and it was hard work indeed, though possible with a short fairly stiff leader as suggested above.
I've downsized the fly to a size 6 Ahrex NS 122 Light Stinger hook and a transparent plastic head (Fish-Mask), and used composite material for the body; it works a charm on a 5 foot fluoro leader (max). No need for the weighted head - nor the rabbit strip - , the S3 tip brings the fly to the right depth in my neck of the woods.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts