Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Hooked4life
2,085 Posts
No shops nearby...wondering if anyone has experience with rod action similar to Loomis Roaring River Stinger (13', 8/9 wt specifically)...but I'm looking for something in the 6wt class, too.
Gary

The 12' 6 wt. NRX has a Scandi-ish type action that shouldn't be too far off of what you're looking for, though the NRX is less stiff. Its bend profile is in the same ballpark with most of the work in the upper half. It's been a dog's age since I last casted that Stinger. I have more familiarity with the 12' 6" Stinger and I'd say that the actions are not all that dissimilar, except for the stiffness.

The NRX 6 wt. is rated for a head of 400 grains, but someone with an efficient Underhand could probably go with a head in the mid 300s. As for a rod in the 13' 8/9 class, both the NRX and the PRO-4x will be in the ballpark. I have the PRO-4X and it can really wind up and chuck line. An efficient caster should be able to shoot more than 50' or running line with it.

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,254 Posts
Yikes! 153 people have read this request and not a single opinion? Must be a first for speypages!
Gary
kind of tough to get what you're asking, Gary.
Stinger is a classic scandi actioned rod- a bit flexible at the tip, relatively strong in the middle, fast recovering.
The closest I can come to that rod is a Meiser S, which is a little sweeter, or a LeCie, which is a little stiffer in the tip. An exact match? uh uh. You want a Stinger action, you need a Stinger.

I guess everybody who read it probably threw up their hands, like I did. You want a Stinger, you'd best find one!

·
Registered
271 Posts
I used to have a 12'6" Stinger 8/9 or 9/10 can't rember. Closest thing I found were the LeCies. Crisp actions.

·
Hooked4life
2,085 Posts
Speyspaz, I have a Stinger, just wondering if there are similar actions out there. Thanks for the ideas, guys. You're giving me a place to start looking.
Gary
:):):) How perceptions differ :):):) . . . Just reading this and thought back to when I was with Guideline and fished the 12' 6" 8/9 LeCie a lot. My buddy had the Stinger in the same size and I found the rods to be quite different, so much so that I had to modify my casting stroke to get the Stinger to work for me. I fished LeCies so much, my casting was 100% adapted to them, so the Stinger action threw me a bit of a challenge until I figured out what was needed.

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,254 Posts
Right, Peter. They are different,
I agree. LeCies and LPXe's (!) are scandi rods, as are S rods and Stingers. All are scandi rods with varying degrees of "give" which was my point, and their different actions were mentioned in my post. How perceptions differ...

Said another way, to get a rod that casts just like a Stinger, it probably needs to be a Stinger. Oh wait, I already said that. :D S rods are softer, LeCies are stiffer...Oh wait, I already said that too...:D

Said another way, purpose-built scandi rods tend to be many variations on a central theme, of a somewhat flexible tip, MF action, and fast recovery. There are many iterations of this basic theme, and all have their fans and tend to accommodate an individual's stroke differently.

Said another way, a rod casting a scandi head could be said to be a Scandi rod. Many Euro casters, Bob Gillespie among them, prefer a progressive taper to the compounded actions mentioned in this thread, but I didn't want to overcomplicate it for this guy.

so, tomatoes, potatoes, take your pick and score points on ol' Spaz if you like, but I do think I got it right the first time.
regards,
Bob

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,254 Posts
btw, pardon my crabbiness, having a hard time today.
I, too, have to make changes every time I pick up a different rod so we are definitely on the same wavelength. Which leads us back to the "good luck finding a Stinger analog" vibe I tried to convey.

Ibuprofen time.

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
Another interesting aspect is that both the Stinger and LeCie were originally sweet 3pc blanks. Consumer demands forced both series into 4pc versions.. there are notable differences with each brand after the fact.

Edit: LeCie 12'6" have always been 4pc. Longer rods were originally 3pc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts