Spey Pages banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides my massive new shoulders thanks to Spey Fishing, my eyes are going through a some what rare situation.

It is called Second Vision by the eye docs. 4 years ago I stopped needing reading glasses, and I can thread tippets through the eyes of flies up to size 12 without magnification.

Then a couple of years ago I realized that my myopia was fading away. So all of my expensive polaroid prescription fishing glasses no longer worked.

I have about 20/30 vision now. I had been trying various fishing non prescription glasses without really being satisfied.

I was advised to try the Action Optics by an Optician who is a fisher.

The young man, who manages our local sporting good store is a professional bass fisher and suggested that I try the Action Optics glasses with the Amber Photo Polaroid Glass Lens. He uses these glasses when he fishes for fun and in contests and for daytime and night driving. So I bought a pair last week.

They are great driving glasses and really enable you to see under the surface of the water regardless of the light conditions and clear skies or cloudy skies. They work very well, and I have had no head aches or eye strain with some long days of wear.

They are like the ones shown in their ad on the bottom of our left hand column on this page. They are very comfortable and protect my eyes from the wind like yesterday that was 25 to 35 knots and swirling around. I am amazed at how deep into the water I can see with these glasses.

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Action optics

I have been cocnsidering the Delta HP's with the prescription insert that fits behind the polarized lens. I have been wearing blended bifocals for years. And since having Lasik surgery a few years ago, my distance prescription is zero correction and reading is 2.25 magnification. Action Optics still does not grind variable stength, or blended bifocals. Has anyone had this kind of setup? It would seem to be a great advvantage to be able to swap the different shades of lenses while retaining your prescription in a clear lens that fits in behind.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I've had the same pair of Action Optics Photochromatic Polarized glasses for over 15 years now - they are awesome. I had a problem with the frames about 10 years ago, when Smith bought the company I wrote them, they had me send them in and for the cost of shipping they put my lenses in a brand new frame!

I will be a customer for life - the problem is these glasses show no signs of needing replacements. :smokin:

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re the Rx inserts behind the polarized lens.

I had a pair of these and still do have when I need far vision lens to correct my myopia. They worked well and held up well. I plan to remove the Rx lens and have them available for bright days on the Ocean as they have dark gray lenses.

There is a company that makes plastic stick on lens for magnification. You just stick the lens on to your glasses were the reading glass part of bifocles would be. That might work for you and Action Optics since your far vision is good. I have no idea how they hold up. They are not cheap.

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Stick ons

I have discussed this witth my optometrist. It Is an option, however, I would have to purcahase a set of stick ons for each set of lenses. That could get expensive. And I would not have the blended effect. Other options were, a cheap pair of reading glasses, or clip on the bill of your hat magnifyers.

Grampa Spey, why are you not using your RX insert behind your saltwater glasses?

·
Registered
913 Posts
I've been using amber polarized photochromics for many years and bifocal ones for probably over 15 of those. The latest I've had made in Bolle frames that I can get side shields for. For me, they're the best.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Grampa Spey said:
They are great driving glasses and really enable you to see under the surface of the water regardless of the light conditions and clear skies or cloudy skies. They work very well, and I have had no head aches or eye strain with some long days of wear.
Today I happened to pick up the pair I've been waiting on for some 8 weeks. My eyes took to them instantly: my eyes feel more "relaxed" looking through them than through other tints. I've been using a pair of AO's copper tint glasses during the past few years. They've worked well but the frame has broken three times in a 1" long section and are becoming unusable. I have a call in to AO to see if it will do anything about it.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Greg Pavlov

Greg posted: "My eyes took to them instantly: my eyes feel more "relaxed" looking through them than through other tints. "

Greg, I had the same feeling there was no need for adjustment. My eyes felt relaxed like you noticed, which is not normal with any new glasses.

I have a pair of Orvis yellow lens, and I never felt relaxed with them as with the Optics, as you noted. Also, my peripheral vision was never as good as with the Optics.

Thanks for posting the descriptive word Relaxed as it describes my eyes with the Optics.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm glad to see a posting about sunglasses as I'm in the market for a pair and I have a few questions. Is there one manufacturer that is better than all the others or are all major brands pretty much the same. Are glass lenses better than the polycarbonite ones? Should I consider a photochromic lens which would suffice in both bright and low light conditions? Any input/recommendations would be appreciated.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Steelheadaholic said:
Should I consider a photochromic lens which would suffice in both bright and low light conditions? Any input/recommendations would be appreciated.
One thing to note about photochromics: at their darkest they
will still usually be quite light. I happen to prefer that, but other people may want something darker.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Steelheadaholic

Well, you have four unsolicited testimonials for the Photochromatic Amber Lenses. Two of us are new owners and two have 15 years experience with them. The two Speyers who have used them 15 years is very impressive.

Yesterday and today in N. California we had incredible changes with clouds to no clouds to semi clouds throughout the day. I basically didn't notice the changes as the lenses did their thing.

Also, the young man who sold the Action Optics to me is a fisherman and a professional bass fisher. He can probably get any glasses for free or at a significant discount. For years he has used the Action Optics Photochromatic Amber lenses. He fishes for fun, for money and drives with these glasses.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Steelheadaholic,

Further to Grampa Speys last post - Action Optics is a Forum Sponsor ... just one more reason to buy an awesome set of glasses. :smokin:

·
Registered
465 Posts
I've been using a pair of Lost River Action Optics glasses with the amber photochromatic lenses for about 6 years now. They are first-rate glasses and I am very satisfied with their quality. The amber lenses are particularly well suited to the tannin-stained waters I usually fish and also work well in lower light conditions.

I've had to use Action Optics service once. I had planted my size 13 squarely on my glasses while bumbling around in the dark in camp. Needless to say the glasses broke (frame) however the lenses remained unscathed. I later wrote action optics explaining how I broke the glasses and asked them to put my lenses in a new frame and send me a bill for the work. Just two weeks later I received a box from action optics with a brand new pair of glasses and a note that said thanks for using their products. Also included was an invoice in the amount of $0.00!!!

You can't beat this for service and their quality is top notch. Like kush, I'll be a repeat customer (should I ever need to be).

pescaphile

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
pescaphile

Another great testimonial from a satisified user of Action Optics and their photocrome amber glasses.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Kush

Kush posted, "Further to Grampa Speys last post - Action Optics is a Forum Sponsor ... just one more reason to buy an awesome set of glasses. "

Kush, as an unabashed American capitalist, I believe in buying good products/service from the good companies which advertise on our Spey Clave. My Rio lines and leaders work great. My Bob Meiser Rods are superb. My Loop 4 Reel is wonderful and a classic. Now I apparently own a pair of maybe the best sunglasses made by Action Optics.

We have some wonderful sponsors with great products.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I just switched from Maui Jim's to a $69 pair of Action Optics, " Breakwaters," with the amber lens and couldn't be more pleased. These are easily the best fishing glasses I have seen for the money. And they were a hundred bucks less than the new Mauis I almost bought.

I think I will try the photomics next.

As a side note, these Action's will fit you even if you have a giant squash like me! Most sunglass manufacturers make one or none that will actually fit me. As a reference, it is nearly impossible for me to buy a hat off-the-rack.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts