Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friends: Over the weekend, I was fortunate enough to acquire an ACR 1368-4EX rod as the next step in my evolution as a two-handed winter steelhead fisherman.

What line weights you would suggest I use with this rod? The ACR website doesn’t list this rod, which presumably means it’s a discontinued model. Nevertheless, I surmise that I should probably start with a 22-ft Skagit head of about 525 grains (I’m an intermediate caster) and work my way down to perhaps a 485 gain head as I get more familiar with the rod? For a Scandi line, I might start with a somewhat lighter 33-ft line, around 485 grains? That, at least, was what my steelhead guide and Spey instructor suggested.

Finally, my instructor is a big fan of Guideline Compline running line and he suggests about 25 lb test would do the trick. He further suggests that a heavier reel such as the Hardy Cascapedia would complement this rod well. Would you Hardy fans use an 8/9 or a 10/11 with this rod?

I’d be very grateful for your advice on all the above. I have dates this winter with steelhead on the Rogue and the North Umpqua, to say nothing of the northern coastal rivers in Oregon, and I want to be fully prepared!

Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hi Mike,

Just call Gary Anderson and he will be able to fill you in on the history of this rod. He will also be able to tell you what lines to fish with it depending on what and where you are fishing. Plus if you then call Steve Godshall he will build you a line just for that rod and for the type of fishing you do. You will never need another line unless you wear that one out!

Enjoy, its a great rod!

Regards,

-Tony

·
Registered
678 Posts
Hi Mike,

Just call Gary Anderson and he will be able to fill you in on the history of this rod. He will also be able to tell you what lines to fish with it depending on what and where you are fishing. Plus if you then call Steve Godshall he will build you a line just for that rod and for the type of fishing you do. You will never need another line unless you wear that one out!

Enjoy, its a great rod!

Regards,

-Tony
Good advice above.

I have an ACR 1338 Elite. Love it. Use a 510 scandi, 540 rage, and 570 skagit compact. All work great on that rod, for comparison.

Have fun with it. I like my ACR best above all.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good advice above.

I have an ACR 1338 Elite. Love it. Use a 510 scandi, 540 rage, and 570 skagit compact. All work great on that rod, for comparison.

Have fun with it. I like my ACR best above all.
Thanks, guys. Do you think that the Hardy Cascapedia 8/9 reel would provide sufficient capacity for these lines? Or would I need a bigger reel such as the Cascapedia 10/11?

Mike

·
Registered
249 Posts
Yeah! Call him. I broke my trout spey called over there and actually talked to the real guy himself. I didn't expect it. Still kinda floored about it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts