Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to make a decision between two ACR elite rods. One is the 12' 7 wt 420 gr recommended line and the other is the 12'9" 6 wt 400 gr line.

I plan to call Gary for his input but I'd really like feed back from members here also.

As a base line, how would either of these rods compare to a Winston BII 12'6" 6 wt (which some feel handles more like a 7 wt.)

I'm most likely to use a Rage compact line on the rod.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Gus,
I have the 1296 and the 1327 and just absolutely love both of them!!!

I have also cast the 1207 and the 1206 - both are also really nice rods, but on the lighter side for their line weights, at least in my opinion.

I came close to getting the 1206 but decided on the 1296 as I felt it was a bit more versatile than the 1206 and also a little more smooth (forgiving maybe?) casting than the 1206. That said, I am sure I could be happy with either of them.

So it really depends on what you want in a rod. Call up Gary and talk with him about your needs. Then arrange a chance to cast them both. Only then should you make a choice. Don't make a choice base on what everybody else thinks. Let the rods in your hands tell you which one is right for you.

But no matter which you end up with: 1 - you're gonna love it, and 2 - you'll want to get another one of Gary's rods afterwards :hihi:

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I have not cast the 1207 , but I have heard wonderful things about it and the 1206! I do own the 1296 and must say it is one of my favorite sticks! 400 Scandi and a 450-475 Skagit are a dream on this rod. I have not cast a rage on it ,but I would imagine somewhere in the 420 range would be smokin! Good luck and defiantly give Gary a call.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Good luck with that.

I'm going through a similar internal debate; however, in my case I'm back and forth between an ACR elite 6 wt in either the 11'7" or 12'9". I too would want to compare it to a Winston I enjoy, but in my case a Bii-MX 11'6" 6/7, which definitely is on the 7 end of the scale (a great rod, BTW).

I contacted Gary, and noted that I wanted to order either one by the end of the week - but which one:Eyecrazy:

I'm hoping the 11'7" is not too much on the light side of a "6 wt" - if anything, I'd prefer if it was more on the heavy side. I'd like to use a 390 scandi, 420 rage, and up to a 450 skagit, on the rod.

I keep hearing wonderful things about the 1296. Perhaps its a good thing that I live far from the Rogue River valley and we'll never get a chance to try out some of these other rods - it helps to ensure that I love the one I'm with.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a 1317-EX, (450 gr.) that I throw a few different lines with. The heaviest is a DT9 Terenzio Silk, a cut back 12 WF Orvis, then a couple Rio Switch 7 wt. lines.
I'm primarily fishing for Smallmouths and Hybrid Striped Bass with bigger/heavier flies. Doesn't answer your question but welcome to try mine.
Where in the Midwest?
Cheers,
R

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have an Anderson 1206-4 made on, I believe, the burgundy Explorer blank and man do I love this rod.
It is definitely one of my favorite rods to fish. I can cast this rod all day on the Grand Ronde. I use a custom Steve Godshall scandi line and also use the 6 wt. Rio Short Scandi with interchange tips.
Love it. Mike

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
I find the Winston Rod to be a pig when compared to an ACR side by side. The ACR is a more soulful blank, allowing you to feel different load points. I find the Winston to be a bit stiff and unforgiving. The ACR is also a lighter rod. that 12'9" 6wt is a sweet stick and can throw weighted stuff too. really sings with a 420 rage

·
Registered
8 Posts
A 12'6" 6wt Explorer should arrive any day---my first spey rod---THEN it is just the small matter :chuckle: :eek: of attaining some modest level of proficiency Scandi casting. I keep looking for that delivery truck. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts