Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,
Is anybody who is tying and using a Knoted leader oneself here?
If so, let me hear your farsighted view.
I am using a 15', #10 rod, and Rio's Midspey interchangeable tip line so I wish to hear for both floating line and sink tip line and I prefer about 0.13in or 0.15in in the diameter of tippet.
And please excuse my poor English writting.
Thanks.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey Cloudsfor...

Here is what I would use for the floater, total length 180", Maxima Chameleon or Clear for the butt and mid section, Maxima UltraGreen for the tippet. Butt=60%(108") with 72"-#40, 36"-#30. Midsection or graduations=20%(36") with 12"-#25, 12"#20, 12"-#15. Tippet=20%(36") of #12 or #10.

For the sink tips I use about 4' of #15 Maxima UltraGreen, or 2' of #20 and 2' of #15 or #10. I use blood knots to join all the sections.

If you do a search using the term "steelhead leader" you will find quite a lot of info. Take care, MJC

·
Registered
545 Posts
Here is a recipe for a very simple leader that I have been very happy with for spey casting a dry line...

10' of 40 lb Maxima butt
8" of 30 lb Maxima
8" of 20 lb Maxima
8" of 15 lb Maxima
3' of 10 lb Maxima for tippit

I use all brown Maxima and blood knots

If you need to drop or add a foot or two do so in the butt

For the sink tips I just use 3' of 10 or 12 lb brown Maxima

Greg

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, MJC and Greg.

Thanks for both of your kind advise.
It will be very useful for me.
thanks again.

Cloudsfor.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Same leader for any line

I've used nothing but self-knotted leaders since I was a rookie. For spey fishing, I carry a range of leaders, but mostly use one of these three: A 4-foot, 3-section mono leader tapering to 0X (discolored water); a 5-foot, 4-section 1X flurocarbon leader (clear water, winter/spring); or a 5-foot, 4-section 3X flurocarbon leader (clear water, summer).

These are normally used on sinking tips; but I use the same leaders on my floating lines/tips. How? Simple; a ten-foot butt, usually of .022" mono, nail-knotted to the line tip, with a perfection loop on the end. They turn over beautifully.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I mainly use Maxima, either Chamelion or Ultragreen, for butt and middle sections. (The Maximas are much less kink-prone than most other monos; you can straighten them with five seconds of hand-stretching.) I've been using Orvis Super Strong copolymer tippet material since 1988. It's still about as strong as any mono, and behaves nicely.

For flurocarbon, I use Orvis Mirage (I bought a kit at a big discount) for upper sections. For tippets, I use either Seguar Grand Max or Rio premium. These latest-generations fluros are now actually stronger than even premium mono.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts