Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wanted some opinions from Abel users..Curious what reel would best suit the 7 weight 13 2" beulah platinum spey? Will be using tonic and elixir lines recomended for the rod. I have seen posts with people using the switch and some saying they use the spey model. Curious what people are using.

Also, the new springs.. Are they includes with new reels? What was the issue with the old springs? Just curious if I should ask for them if I get this reel.

Thanks

Edit: not sure why the little thumbs down icon is on my post, didn't mean to put that. Getting a new abel is a thumbs up situation :)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Able spey will balance well a +13' rod. I use them on two 13'6" rods. Yes, stronger sping ships with the reels. They are well built and simple, should last a lifetime.

·
slipped away to grey...
712 Posts
New ones should come with the new springs, they are just a bit stiffer than the older ones is all, I have both versions and like them both.

My favorite steelhead reels by far, go with the spey size for your rod....

·
Registered
54 Posts
I agree with the two posts above. I have Abel Spey reels on a #7 13' 3" Winston B3x and on a #8 13' 6" Winston B3x. They balance/work good!!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.

I'm still looking around right now, considering the Super 10 or similar with a standard arbor. Figure a reel with drag might be a little more versatile as I could use it on my sh as well for saltwater. Seems like most of the good deals on the older super series reels are in the states though, makes it less appealing with duty ect. I like the idea of being able to swap a large and standard arbor in the same reel as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts