Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if you were going to do some extreme steelheading which reel would you choose and why?????

·
Registered
92 Posts
I would probably choose the Abel.Both are awsome reels and among the best out there,but I think the Abel has a higher line capacity(I could be wrong).Depending on where you are fishing this may or may not be a big deal.To me,more is better when it comes to backing.Then again I live in BC where steelies grow as big as killer whales!Well almost.:D

J

·
0 Posts
I guess I don't understand the previous post on this thread. There are several models of each so comparing line capacity as if there was just one of each doesn't help anyone out. A more accurate response would be that the LARGEST Abel Super Series has more capacity the the LARGEST Loop evotecLW. However, that largest Abel also weighs more than twice as much as the Loop and costs more than twice as much. If you need room for a long taper or double taper 11 or 12 weight with 200+yds of 30# you have to go with an Abel or with the new Loop evotecHD 11fourteen. If you need less than that for capacity chances are the evotecLW 8twelve would be a terrific option for you for at least $200.00 less.

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
loop evotec lw 8eleven capacity

FYI: just spooled up my reel in preparation for next weekend's casting class. I have 150 yards of 30# gel spun poly, @ 50 yards of 30# Dacron, and a full Airflo Long Delta Spey 9/10 on the reel. This leaves me @ 1/8 inch between line and line guard.

·
Registered
92 Posts
JR Spey,you are right,I should have specified which sizes and model(of the Loop-LW or HD) I was comparing.Thanks for clearing that up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts