Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a blurb in one of the flyfishing mags, I think maybe American Angler, that said Abel is rolling out a line of spey rods. I think the article said the rod has a "traditional, European" action, which seems contradictory to me (maybe I read it wrong). Has anyone cast any of these rods at any of the fishing shows? I'm sure that, at the very least, they will be well-made.

JE

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good deal. I'll be curious to hear what you think (I wish I could be there).

Dana, have you heard whether or not Daiwa will be bringing the Alltmors back. I read somewhere, probably on this board, that Daiwa was redesigning them to make them more "North American." I sure love the one I have, a 14'1 9/10, and I was surprised that Daiwa discontinued them. Thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Peter-
Thanks for the reply. I have another Daiwa question for you (or anyone else out there who might know). Did any of your Daiwa speys "creak" when you first got them? When my Daiwa is assembled, it creaks a little when I wave it around (and I'm not being rough with it at all). Could that just be the sound of the ferrules? The rod casts great and doesn't appear to be damaged. I'm probably just being a nervous new dad, but I would hate for the rod to crack open on me. Thanks and good fishing,
JE

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,393 Posts
Abel Spey

The Abel Spey rod did not make it to the Fall City clave but I did get a chance to waggle one Saturday morning before the doors opened at the show.

Nice looking rod and Mr. Abel claims they are hearing from people in Germany that it is the best spey rod made. That is a big statement considering the competition from the likes of Loop, CND, T&T, Loomis, Sage, Scott, Winston and others. Unable to give a review without casting it but I can report it is said to be a "traditional" action rod. Based on just the waggle I would say it falls between the Sage 9140-4 and the Scott 1509/4. Curious to see what people think once they get it out on the water.

Perhaps there will be one at the Kaufman's Spey Days this weekned.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts