Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't read all the tackle posts, but a good many and I am struck by the dearth--almost no mention--of Abel reels. I have just begun to spey and bought an Abel #4 for my Sage 15'/8wt because my other trout reels are Abels. Any input on the Abel reel for the long rod. Thanks

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
In my search for the perfect reel for my Derek Brown 7/8, I was sold on the Evotec but it wasn't heavy enough. Same thing went for the the Tibor Gulfstream and the ULA Force 4.0.

I am anal about my balance point....I want that rod to balance on the cork! So I settled on a 4.5N which weighs a little more then 13 oz....plus it will hold any of the Grand Speys without a problem. :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
They are equal to any reel made. If you find one that has the capacity you need, it will serve you well. Changeing spools is the only hitch...

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Yeah they are nice albeit a little spendy. Not having a quick change spool is pretty lame in my book. They will last a lifetime though.

I think I have found a winner in the Ross Big Game Reels. Do not think I will be getting anything else for my spey rods.

-sean

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Ryan -

Did you check out the Evotec HD? It's beefier than the LW but just as sexy and definitely tough enough for the task. I still have many favorite reel models in the economy, mid-range, classic and antique categories.

After sticking with my high-value low cost discontinued reels for a decade, I finally bought the two reels I wanted for Spey rods.

I'm with Sean, the Big Game canyon is another great Spey reel and I love mine. I use the BG-7 for shorter heads and midspeys from 7136-4 up to 15' 8/9 rods.

In the Grandspey class my #1 choice is the LOOP Evotec HD and I am very impressed in all respects by this reel. It holds the Grandspey and balances out a spey rod very nicely. The drag is designed to stop tarpon. The HD is in a class all by itself.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Changing spools

It is almost as quick to change spools on the Able as is is with other models like the Bauer. That shouldn't be a consideration.

The biggest difference, is that most of tha Ables are of the small arbor design. Some of the newer models are larger, but ususlly not as big as the Ross, Bauer and others. I have used a #3 for lighter spey fishing (7136-4) and for shorter heads on longer rods with complete satisfaction.

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
Juro-
I came very very close to purchasing the Evotec 11-14 HD...they are absolute incredible reels!! I've sold alot of them as I recomend them over the Abel, Tibor and Bauer when is looking for a high end reel.

My go to rod is the Derek Brown 7/8 which is a heavy rod with a lot of beef in the tip...a good freind fished a Force 4x on his 7/8 and felt the reel was a little light to properly balance the rod and because the 11-14 weighs the same as the Force 4x, I decided to go with with the 4.5N non-ported which weighs over 2 ounces more...and I played around with it today and it balances that rod very nicely!! :)

I still do see an Evotec or two in my furture!! :devil:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts