Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Steelhead Dreamer
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in getting an Able Super for my new fly line. Does anyone here know if the Super 12 would be the right choice for that very large amount of line and about 200 yd. of #30 backing?

Regards,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is it big enough?

H,

The Super 12 is rated at 325 yds of 30# backing with a 12 wt. line. Of course there is a teeeny weeny bit of exageration in their claims, however, a good friend of mine did get 225 yds of 30# backing effortlessly onto his Super 12 with a Windcutter 10 wt spey line. That should be super enough for any line...eh?

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
I highly doubt it!!...I loaded a Super 12 with an 8/9 GrandSpey and to get any sort of capacity, I had to load it with #30 GSP to get any sort of backing capacity (200 yds).

Better of purchasing a Big Game 4.5N and you will have problem loading that line onto the reel...if you already have the Super 12, no problem, the 4.5N will fit the Super 12 without a problem!

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
You will need a much larger capacity reel, as Ryan posted, to hold the XLT 10/11 and 200 yards of 30# dacron backing. I bought a Redington AS 13/14, which is rated at a WR 14 and 450 yards of 30# dacron backing, to get the GrandSpey 10/11 and a decent amount of 30# backing on the reel. With the 10/11 GrandSpey, the Redington AS 13/14 holds 230 yards of 30# backing. In other words, the RIO GrandSpey or the SA XLT lines reduce the backing capacity by a huge amount compared to a Windcutter or MidSpey. It takes one huge reel to hold these lines, which is exactly what Ryan was getting at.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
"FT"and Ryan are on the mark in their comments above.

The GrandSpey lines (a major drawback in MHO) are thick as rope. They will consume the largest reels you can get your hands on ... and then some.

I have all the XLT lines and find they require a large reel, (but nothing to the degree of the GSpey's) run of backing being a controling factor. For the 10/11 the Redington 13/14 small arbor (doubt the large arbor would the amount of backing you're seeking) will hold what you're looking for .... but it will also fill up the reel.

This is one of the strengths of the RIO, et. al's Wt forward lines. The 'fat part' is infront with a ton of running line (small diameter following); the xlt/GS are 'fat lines' almost from the get-go.
fae

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
As a comparison, I recently got the Ross BG Canyon reels - both the 7 and the 8. The 7 is rated at wf12+325 yd and the 8 is rated at wf14+450. I had to go to spectron on the big 8 to fit the xlt 9/10. I got just under 200 yds of spectron plus the xlt. Would not come close to getting anywhere near enough 30# micron. The 7 has around 200 yds of 30# micron plus the xlt 7 so you are going to need a big reel for the 10/11

1 - 7 of 7 Posts