Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I am looking to see if anyone has strung up a wincutter 8/9/10 w/tips on an abel super 10 or 12. Since I have the reels one should fit the bill. I was hoping to try the 10 since its lighter however the it does'nt look like there will be any backing room left. Another option may be to get the non large arber spool
for the 10 which may work but I hate to spend anymore cash on the set up. Any ideas?
JP

·
Registered
76 Posts
the twelve should be perfect. My Super 11 is a little tight(I have backing for tarpon).

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Reel for WC 8.9.10

Use a reel with a capacity of a WF12Float [single hand line] line plus 300 yards of Micron 30 pound dacron backing.

Such a reel will allow you to spool 200 to 225 yards of Micron 30 pound backing, or 280 yards of Wulff Oval 30 pound dacron backing, plus the WC 8.9.10.

The Wulff product is a standard dacron full strength backing that is a bit smaller in diameter than Micron by Cortland.

Caution reel weight. It is easier to find a reel that is too light than too heavy. You want the rod to balance in the upper portion of the upper grip, where the caster places his hand, when the line's head is outside the rod's tip top guide.

Members of this board use lead core line wrapped on the spool if the reel is too light.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys,
I ended up with the the line on the 12 with probably just under 200 yds of #30 backing. I don't think I could have done the 10
with any length of backing on in it if the 11 is tight. Good point about the balance that one totally slipped the brain.
JohnP

1 - 4 of 4 Posts