Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If that's not a contradiction in terms...

P2074316.jpg P2074315.jpg
Shank - Mustad Bass bug hook, 30# Tufline Duracast.

Rear hackle seg - 3-4 turn long olive hackle.

Feelers - 9-12 strands of natural herl in a dubbing loop, 3-4 turns GP tail in a loop.

Body - Olive brown seal, long grizzly hackle following med oval gold and small silver gold counter-wound, 3-4 turns GP tail in a loop.

Shell - 1 pair long skinny grizzly hackle on each side, 3-4 turns Olive Ringneck Rump

Head - Olive seal and small tungsten eyes.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Before I saw the recipe, I thought the bass around here will smash that! Then I saw it was tied on a bass hook. Intended quarry?

Great tie for whatever swims, Vic! You wouldn't even need to put a stinger on this. In fact, you could clip the point off that hook and still have a fish on, they'll like it so much!!

Good stuff,

-Bill

·
Grandpa Howard
3,432 Posts
True to the original pattern. Ed once commented that the Intruder was much more than just a steelhead fly. This color combo would work on just about anything. Well done.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you fellows.

Im sure bass in local streams and lakes would try and eat this as an easy meal, and I'd feel perfectly comfortable casting the color-combo in three feet of visibility. Matter of fact - I'll spool up a skagit-head and give it a try: Im getting that sense like spring is just around the corner and things should start happening. The main intent are steelhead though and the nearest of those are in the "Alley."

The hook came in a lot from raspberry-patch on here in several sizes along with a selection of different popper hooks. You can see how this style and size is perfect for shank flies also. Because the bend drops down so far the materials are out of the way either at the vice or in-hand and there's really no need for prior straightening. I will clip the shank and add a trailer though. I left it for the pic in order to showcase that shank-fly feature in the hook.

Anyhow - thanks again and tight lines.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts