Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Spey in the South?!
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys:

I just posted an article on www flyfishingtoday.com representing my take on trout spey fishing. I probably got some things wrong, but there's a real lack of material in this area out there and I thought I might pique some folks' interest.

The link (de-hotlinked to respect the rules here) is:

http://www geocities.com/flyfishingtoday/spey.htm

Zach

PS I refer them back to you guys - watch out for more ignorant trout fishers. :)

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
That Rim Shoals place sounds like alot of fun. I have to admit I overlook the south as a trout destination. Guess I am guilty of the Okie Noodlin' stereotype. Isn't the White a current record holder for a big brown?

·
Spey in the South?!
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The White River System has several of the records, the two latest (and largest) being the all tackle World Record on the Little Red tributary, at 40 lbs. 4 oz., and a 38 lb. something caught out of the Norfork tributary. Shocking sample volunteers report shocking several in the 35# + range, and a 43 lber washed up dead a couple years back. There is no place in the world, saltwater or fresh, where you have a better chance at a new world record brown trout than Arkansas.

That trout in my signature is a drawing, to scale, of one caught during the spawning run on the White River, that went about 20#.

Zach

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
"There is no place in the world, saltwater or fresh, where you have a better chance at a new world record brown trout than Arkansas". posted by zachmatthews.

yes, that must be conceded now. not so long ago lake michigans waters held that title. i guess we'll have to settle for runner up position. if we could thin the salmon down maybe the browns could feast their gluttonous hearts out and put us back in the running.

i've been admiring your drawing since i first saw it in your signature. a real beauty.

can't seem to access your article? SG

·
Registered
203 Posts
Interesting ~

Hi Zack et al,

I'm a steelhead fisherman living in Washington state. I also have a dad living in Mountain Home, Arkansas. When I visit we head to the White river, as often as not to Rim Shoals because of his friend Gary Flippin (sp?) who guides on the river.

I hit over 30 rainbows one morning swinging a small olive wolley bugger and floating line. Gary suggested next time to bring a rod with a sinktip so we could target some of the bigger browns. That was before I was even aware of Trout speys. I now own a couple that I use for swinging flies for Sea Run Cutts in the rivers and other lite duty out here on the west coast.

They'll surely make the trip with me when I head back to Arkansas - they'd be perfect for swinging bigger flies on tips for those Browns. If/when, I promise to post a report.

Tight Lines!

Brian

·
a/k/a loophitech
457 Posts
zach,

good article dude. did you know about the Meiser Trouter rods when you wrote this article? His rods are hands down the best trout speys i have cast.

vinnie

·
loco alto!
3,052 Posts
nice article, easy reading. In Oregon speys are used to fish dries for trout, wets for cutts, and streamers for bulls. I think around 10 companies make trout speys

·
Spey in the South?!
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys-

I knew about the other trout spey companies but for the most part those rods are in the $500 and over class and I was focusing on introducing trout anglers to spey, which means they need the most information about the low-end for now. Also, those three spey rods are the only trout speys I have personally been able to get my hands on, so they were the only ones I felt comfortable recommending for the time being. I will add information or write a followup in a few months.

Zach

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Hey Zach,

I could'nt access your article either....But no worries.

Regardless of the maker of your present rods; your idea of sharing these thoughts is what's important.

It's all good for the two handed community.

.....And the very thought of pursuing the 20 pound plus Brownie would re-define the term of what most folks would consider a "Trout Spey".

Thats a serious fish...};^)....!!!!

Stay the course and Good on ya.....Meiz

·
Spey in the South?!
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bob, please check your personal messages.

Zach

·
Spey in the South?!
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Brian-

Specifically, I was at Rim Shoals for one afternoon this last Christmas. (I live in Knoxville, TN, which is 9 hours from the White, but my family is in NW Arkansas. I steal as much time there as I can, but this was the first chance I have had to fish Rim at low water with the spey.)

It was a slowish day and only one other member of my party was catching fish. I caught 8 or 9 in about two hours then started exploring down the shoal. Ran into Dave Whitlock down there actually, he is kind of the South's major trout guru.

I was longline nymphing a 15' 6x leader under two palsa foam indicators, all I had, and weighted with two splitshot crimped a foot above the fly. I caught fish on a #14 tan humpback scud, an Arkansas favorite, a #20 Miracle nymph, and a #16 gray sowbug.

I just read an article on Polish nymphing and I really want to give it a try with the extra reach of the spey.

Zach

1 - 11 of 11 Posts