Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fishing this weekend, I was using single speys off both sides (cross-handed for river right), and was much more consistently making good casts than ever before.

The key seemed to be Juro's comment about not having the rod pointing straight down the line prior to the initial lift. Most of my casts had a 45 to 60 deg change of direction, and in a prior thread (no more switch casting?) Juro mentioned angling the rod out for the single spey. It seemed to make a huge difference for me!

--Bill

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Like the many tips I reflect upon here from Dana, I was just expounding on someone elses virtues with that one. You can thank Simon Gawesworth who gave me that tip at the Sandy Clave, I am just a messenger (and benefactor).

I'm not sure guys like Simon know just how important a little detail can be to those who are still aspiring to become the best casters they can be. Simon gave me a bit of a ration (jokingly)after enlightening me (i.e. "get with it lad!") with this subtle tip, and then got on with working down the entire line of casters the length of the beach all of whom magically improved with a little bit of his tutelage. I was left standing there firing cast after cast at sharp angles with renewed consistency.

I don't deserve credit for anything but my mouth on this one. I just hadn't heard this tip mentioned before, and it's a damn good one for angled spey casts so I wanted to make sure the 'rest of us' got it.

Thanks Simon!

·
Registered
200 Posts
In Simon's video, he recommends starting the single spey cast with the rod pointing directly across stream at about 10 o'clock. It is then followed by a shallow dip as the rod is swept up and back to form the D loop. Starting the cast with the rod pointed across the stream makes a heluva difference.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts