Spey Pages banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the throat went a little wrong, but I like the way the mallard wing (not flank, not bronze and not barred) gives the fly a hump. Sourced some nice teal. The tackle is black heron and body pure silk and rib, so I guess it's safe to call it tied the classic way, though the low wings may actually be a more modern wing than what is seen in the original vintage flies from that era ;-)

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Working with skins gives you such wider array of possibilities than to work with standardised bags of feathers. For the mallard, it is full of great fly tying possibilities besides the flank, the bronze shoulders and the barred chest. Example: I have a friend who where gifted a ringneck pheasant skin from the local game butcher as a boy, and he has only tied flies from that exact skin to this day, and he still have a half skin left, and he is in his fifties and is a experienced trout fisher. So there's a world of possibilities for flies in every skin. What I do? What would you do if your cat dragged in a sparrow? For me I skin the critter with a sharp scalpel and cure the skin. Now what fly to tie?

Cheers
Søren

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have friends who hunt ducks, they breast them out and give my bags of carcasses for me to pull from. I got a prime Common Merganser drake the other day and got a load of good feathers from it. The flank was a nice cream color (big feathers too!), mix of white and black shoulders (some white with black tips), green crest feathers, some scalloped abdomen feathers, and some interesting feathers off the tail. I've pulled feathers off of some Ringneck, Scaup, Common Merg, Mallard, and Widgeon lately. I have them on the lookout for some Hooded Mergs. My one friend had a pair slide their spread at 60yds, lucky guy!:chuckle:

·
Administrator
19,853 Posts
Super sleek , very nice :)
Only pointing this out because I noticed it and don't know if you have :roll:
There is a gap between the collar and the wing set , nothing major at all , just being picky .
You can eliminate that potential by ensuring the starting point of the thread is immediately after the collar hackle before tying in the wing . It is just a matter of doing a spot check before proceeding with the next step :)

Mike

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Sweet little spey, and it is pretty amazing what can be done with a just a little sparrow like you have here, or an entire pheasant.

Watch for that little gap in the tie-in point as mentioned by Mike. The black heron on here is pretty amazing - nothing like it really. Im jealous.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts