Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of the sinking tips for my new Mid Spey 7/8 weigh the same, 109 grains.

Yet the type 3 sinks at 3 ips (w/o compensator), and the type 8 sinks at 8 ips (w/o compensator).

Does the smaller diameter of the type 8 enable it to sink faster than the type 3 of the same weight?

Is the sink rate measured in pool of water with no flow, and will the speed of river flow effect this sink rate?

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
I'm no expert but I noticed that my slimmer 8wt tips used to sink faster than some of my fatter, heavier (grain) tips when I fished winter runs a lot. I assumed it was due to diameter, and in a recent chat with Simon G. at the Fly Fishing Show he confirmed that is one of the key features Rio used to acheive the performance they wanted out of their new hi-density tip material.

So in short, yes the diameter and density too.

·
Registered
52 Posts
With regard to sink tips, one thing I do know is that Airflo is employing tungsten in their sink tips, high density, small diameter equals fast sink rates and easier pick ups. Perhaps Rio is doing the same with their type 8's.

ADP <")))><

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
juro

Juro, thanks for adding another factor, density to my observation of smaller diameter for the type 8 sinking tip.

There is probably some formula for determing the ips rate.

It can't be weight because the sink rates on my lighter 7 wt sink tips are the same as the heavier 8 and 9/10 weight tips.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AD Pose

Somewhere laying in some container/pack are a couple of about 5 year old Rio Steelhead semi leaders about 5' long with tungsten in the body of these semi leaders that I bought years ago.

I could never figure out how to fish with them except to down stream nymph with them with about 1' of tippet from the leader to the fly. If I knew where the fish were or should be, I could get up stream and just let the line drift straight downstream with this leader on the bottom and the nymph hanging up just past the bottom. It was pretty effective that way. The fish just saw the fly and opened their mouths to take it as it came down stream with the tungsten leader upstream with the fly line. Effectiveness took over from any art form with this fishing.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I've been using poly-leaders for about 4 seasons now and I rarely use actual "tips" anymore. I was convinced very early that the slim profile of the tungsten covered mono got down as well as conventional tips. Anyone who has ever mooched for salmon in heavy currents knows that you can keep your lines deep more easily with 15 lb line than 25, the same principle is at work with sink-tips.

·
Speyshop's Speybum
462 Posts
Good post

It does seem like a mystery to me also.
I have used the old Airflo Braided leaders attached to sink tips for years.
The small diameter of the Braid leader seemed to get the fly down a little faster.
Now with these new mono-core tips it seems that they all sink quite fast.
The T-14 is fast sinking and will sink the first couple feet of line with it.
It is extremely small in diameter and seems too fairly stout.
I have been working with Rio new sinking Salmon leaders and must agree with Kush it is nice not having to cut and splice the line just to use a sink tip.

:smokin:

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Speybum, Juro

I think that Juro answered my question with the increased density in the thinner diameter. Rio's new 8 sink tip is very small in diameter like its daddy the T14. My son has been using the T14 to make his own shooting heads for stripper fishing the California Delta. With these home made T14 heads, his fly is down and catching fish while my Teeny 300 or type 6 was still working its way down.

With the heavy normal winter river flows we have on the West Coast, Rio's new type 8 sinking tip with their new sink tip compensator will enable us to get our flies down faster to where the fish are. Then, as I noticed Thursday and someone else commented, that due to the thinner diameter of the type 8 sinking tip, it was easier to get this tip and the compensator back up and to lift for my Double Spey cast than with the type 3 or the 6.

What new Rio Leaders are you referring to here: " have been working with Rio new sinking Salmon leaders and must agree with Kush it is nice not having to cut and splice the line just to use a sink tip. "?:confused:

Thanks
Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts