Spey Pages banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm experiencing an interesting change in my physical body arrangement.

Since I have been Spey Casting and casting Bob Meiser's two handed rods, I have increased my jacket size in the shoulders from a size 42 regular to a size 46 regular.

It is not weight gain as I have lost 12 pounds this year. (need to lose another 24)

I was having trouble getting into my sport coats size 42 regular (been wearing size 42 regular for over a decade).

Since I'm a kept man, my sugar mommy, aka my wife, decided to buy me a new suit and tux for Christmas, she bought me a new pair of Simm's Guide Weight Gore Tex Waders for my birthday in November!).

Wednesday, we went to our local Men's Wearhouse. I couldn't get a size 42 on, the 44 was too tight in the shoulders, and the size 46 in most suits fits great.

My neck size in the same time went from a size 17 to 17 and a half.

My wife is a nurse, and she believes that it is the two handed casting actions that have resulted in the increase in jacket size and neck sizes with the overall weight loss. Her only concern is that I might get hurt or angry, start turning green and really increase my shoulder size and rip up the new suit or tux jacket she bought me.

Anyone, else have this happen, or is it due to my second childhood. :confused:

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Well there you have it....

[3]Real men Speyfish.[/3]

:smokin:

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Jeez, I know what you mean! People have been saying that I have turned into a veritable Adonis since I started spey casting:rolleyes: Seriously, I wish... however. it is good exercise and such great fun that you may just be getting out there more often. This is good to hear - one more good excuse to use to get out onto the river!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Spey casting is great exercise

Until yesterday I wouldn't have appreciated the fitness quotient of spey casting. By way of background, I go to the river to cast (or fish) almost every day. In those cases when I fish, I'll almost always practice casting for at least 30' prior to fishing. As a result, I can now cast for hours repetively - And often do.

Yesterday, I took a friend steelheading and I spent the morning teaching him to cast a spey rod (He'd never cast one before). Now, my friend is very atheletic (Jogging and binking) and very well-built. Although a smaller man, he's in much better aerobic shape than I am. However, after an hour of casting his arms and shoulders were completely noodled and he was exhausted and overheated.

After reading this post, I called him to see how he was doing. As described by him, he can hardly lift his arms this morning :)

When you think about it, spey casting requires significant coordinated effort by your trapezius, deltoid, lower back and abdominal muscles. To appreciate this, lay off of casting for 2 weeks then go down to the river and practice casting a sink-tip for 2 hours :hehe:

Cheers,

Michael

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
luv2spey re your comments

You posted, "When you think about it, spey casting requires significant coordinated effort by your trapezius, deltoid, lower back and abdominal muscles. To appreciate this, lay off of casting for 2 weeks then go down to the river and practice casting a sink-tip for 2 hours!"

I have noticed exactly what you have to say. If I'm not out at least once a week with a Spey Rod or one of Bob Meiser's two handed rods, I feel the burn in about 30 minutes when I do get out.

Now, I take one of Bob's Rods about once a week to the crummy Napa River just to practice two handed casting.:)

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
I can assure you you're not alone on this one.

My 'weight' when I graduated from high school was 180#; at 60 I'm at 181-183. But my 'coat size' (thanks to Mr. Spey rods) has gone from a "perfect" 40 regular to a 43. In a couple of cuts I've tried on lately (european cut) I had to use a 44.

It's the "manly thing.":devil: Too bad nothing else has growen in size to keep pace.:smokin:

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fred re "\ I can assure you you're not alone on this one. "

With all the casting, line trials, rod trials, sinking tip trials, reel trials that you do with Spey Rods, with you living that close to the Rogue, I'm surprised that you are not a size 50 and the same body weight.

If you just cast each rod and reel 30 minutes a week, you have to be in great shape.

My wife discussed this shoulder size change with me with one of the docs in her medical group. He is into weight lifting and mountain biking. He doesn't Spey fish but he knows what it is and has a general ideal of the equipment we use.

He said with the length and weight of the Spey Rods, Reels and lines he is not surprised. He added that while wading the bulk of the casting motion is carried from the chest up. Then, the lifting of the lines, ripping it around combined with the rod weights and lengths plus the reels get into some pretty demanding physics. He said that if I walk about a half of a mile to and from the water, it should be great exercise.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Roger that, just took my "lunch hour" at Denmon Bar.

Several folks fishing in the area, but nothing to show for 40 minutes of "work out."
fae

·
Registered
459 Posts
Yes I noticed the extra physical work with the spey and have upgraded my daily fitness work out accordingly. First few times in the spring I felt some different muscles being worked out, but now my body has adapted.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Peter-s-c re our wives.

Peter SC posted, "If I let my wife read this thread, do you think she'll let me fish more often?"

MY wife wants me to go fishing more as it improves my outlook.

Looking back, I think that she has patted my shoulders a lot more in the past year.
:devil: :p

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bob Pauli

You asked, "Are both shoulders the same size?"

If you promise not to touch them, you can check them out at the Fly Club Meeting at Sweeney's next Thursdady night!:chuckle:

You should call Greg and have him hold some Dry Skalwa's for you. Then you can pick them from him.

·
124 Posts
Haven't you guys seen my new book. Yea, its Weight training for spey fishing. I also have a video. The video shows a group of 75 - 90 year old guys doing step aerobics with 14 foot spey rods. They are in sync and swinging these big rods around sweating like mad. These guys can do hours on the river because they are in such great shape!!

Hey, maybe I have something here!!!

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Doug Duncan

Doug you posted, " Haven't you guys seen my new book. Yea, its Weight training for spey fishing. I also have a video. The video shows a group of 75 - 90 year old guys doing step aerobics with 14 foot spey rods. They are in sync and swinging these big rods around sweating like mad. These guys can do hours on the river because they are in such great shape!! :hehe:

Now at age 64, I have so much more to look forward to :eyecrazy: thanks to Spey Fishing and your Spey Fishers Life Extension Group!

Life is good for we senior Speyers!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Grampa Spey

I too have found that a day on the water with a double hander is indeed an invigorating experience regardless the size of the rod, technique, or presentation.

All things considered, the benefits are diverse to the point of infinity....

I too especially appreciate the physical work out of the sport....The benefits being directly related to the improvment of ones physical stamina, balance, and casting coordination.

Although chasing mice all day does keep the blood surging, it also seems to stimulate ones thirst.......

And as the day draws to an end........ I do find that my finely tuned, Snap Tee,d upper torso will be in excellent condition to heft a Scotch or two.

THIS... done for no other reason then to simply celebrate the sport.

Scotch is far to tasty to be wasted for medicinal purposes !!!

Tight Lines Richard.............Bob Meiser

·
Registered
104 Posts
After reading some of these posts I've come to the conclusion that another side effect of repetitive spey casting is a delusion of physical grandeur.:chuckle:
jims

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bob Meiser...R.B. Meiser Fly rods

Bob, I don't drink the double malted stuff. I enjoy the micro brews and a good Napa Valley Red wine.

I have noticed that after a few hours with your two handed rods or my Sage rods, that I can still pick up a good micro brew with my right hand or a good glass of Napa merlot inspite of my damaged 64 year old right shoulder. Two hours of casting with a single handed rod would not allow that! :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
All it really means is you're looking at Athletic Cut suit sizing and the adoring gaze of your wife :smokin:

Congrats !!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts