Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you've been experimenting with short skagit heads -- OPST Commando, Airflo Skagit Scout, Rio Trout Max -- you've doubtless seen grids that map new head styles to rods. Most tend to focus on a single vendor. I found a more comprehensive grid that spanned vendors at Red's Fly Shop website, and find it something of a "Rosetta Stone" for short skagit kit. Not having seen it here I post for others dialing in short skagit rigs.

Of special emphasis: this grid is not simply mapping rods to heads, but also heads to the common tips series. Example: I want a light pairing of Commando head and my Sage One 7116 for floating tip work. I can see a 400g Commando is at the light end of the range for heads. Among matching tips I can see two options for a tapered Rio, the 10 footers require a #9 to match the 400g commando, but a 15 foot tip in #7 is a better match. (My testing confirms these work well).

A few typos:
*Green column/Commando: #8 switch should be 450-475 as 475 is
OPST's current max size.

*Blue column Rio 15' tips: the 8-7-9 should be 7-8-9.

Red's Fly shop credited their guy Craig Hettinger for the work. Kudo's to Red's and Craig!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,473 Posts
Could you possibly repost the chart in higher resolution - it is virtually unreadable. I wasn't able to find it on their site.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts