Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Dean River outfitter informed us recently that the float plane capacity will limit each angler to 40 pounds of baggage.

I am a serious overpacker, and need advice. About a year ago, an organized member of this board posted a detailed packing list for the travelling fisher who goes "light."

Does anyone have a printed list that is all-inclusive, but lean?

Thanks for your help.

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
packing for the Dean

Bob,

apart from your tackle, you don't need much on the Dean, especially since you are staying in a lodge. Think layers. Pack one comfortable outfit for your lounging around before and after fishing (one should last you all week)-- 1 pr pants, 2 shirts, one hat, light hiking boots--if you get stuff like Ex Officio makes (free plug) you can even wash it out, hang it to dry overnight and it will be clean and dry in the morning. One fleece jacket, one Gore-Tex type rain jacket, 2 prs of breathable waders (if you have two--in case you tear one), one near new pr of wading boots with extra laces, a fishing hat, sunglasses, whatever you like to sleep in, and whatever else you need for personal comfort. I take polypro underwear and socks with me--3 or 4 pr each--and do a quick wash on day three or four.

As far as tackle goes, these are steelhead: 2 fly boxes--one for wets, one for greased line and dry flies, nippers, floatant, a couple spools of tippet, hook hone if you are using traditional flies (skip it if you use tubes), leaders for dry line and tip fishing, head wallet for your tips, forceps and your camera. That's about it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Check out this site. Click on gear list. Best wild river guide in Alaska. Knows what he is talking about. Worked twenty years for Alaska Fire Service as logistic coordinator for remote fire crews. Best rainbow trip ever with him last year. Period. End of discussion!

wildriverfish.com

1 - 5 of 5 Posts