Spey Pages banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Swinger of Flies
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently some pictures of Spey Rods for sale that are, I'm guessing, older versions that have different cork and and a wood and silver reel seat. I got a 7136 a while back that was built on a blank (kinda pissed me off as I wouldnt have bought it) but I recently saw pics of another rod for sale built the exact same way.

Has Sage ever produced a spey rod that didnt have the standard black metal reel seet and a different (more Loomis style) of cork? Thanks.

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
the original Sage brownie (pre-2001) 7136 and 9140 had the wood reel seat

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
Steve is correct. They also put out some rods, probably pre-2001 as well, that had cork inserts and clear aluminum seats.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Righto...

Some of the early Sage sticks used the Struble U16 with wood inserts.

The bigger sticks even had some of the Struble Ferguson style seats in polished clear with wood.

Both of the images for these seats are still on Struble's website.

If you wish an aide in your research and compare; go to Struble:

Standard reel seats <> Large diameter.

Meiz

·
Swinger of Flies
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I double checked the rod and it has a serial number written in the blank. I understand that sage does NOT put a serial number on their graphite sold as blanks. My 7136 that I thought was a custom job is a factory rod in light of this information. Thanks a ton for clarifying. I'm keeping the 7136. Whew....I almost made a mistake. :Eyecrazy:

·
Registered
143 Posts
7136 with unusual reel seat:

If you ever see a custom-built 7136 brownie with a Hardy W-fitting and ring reel seat, it's probably the one some !!!###!!! stole from my garage some years ago!

Poul

·
Registered
165 Posts
Luv2flyfish said:
My 7136 that I thought was a custom job is a factory rod in light of this information. Thanks a ton for clarifying. I'm keeping the 7136. Whew....I almost made a mistake. :Eyecrazy:
Don't be too sure. Given my opinion of a lot of sage handles you might have been better off with a custom stick.

·
Swinger of Flies
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Muckle Salmon said:
Don't be too sure. Given my opinion of a lot of sage handles you might have been better off with a custom stick.
I take it you have had some failures? I have yet to have one fail. I have more damn fly rods than I have good sense. :chuckle: ...most of which are Sage. I'm curious as to what your experiences have been.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts