Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While at The Greater Midwest Flyfishing Show on Saturday, I took a long look at the Van Staal C-Vex 9/10-11/12 combo. Machined better than any other reel I have seen. (I have not seen a Charleton). Unbelieveably light, I think the 11/12 was under 9 oz., and enough capacity to handle lower weight spey lines with plenty of backing.

Pricey at $640, but I can't stop thinking about it. Its time to reconfigure my reel inventory to generate some cash.

·
Registered
459 Posts
My vintage bronze colored Marryat MR 9 will go very nicely with that Sage Lite Spey which has that Tiger Paw bronze graphite color. God that was lovely.

The Marryat is also very light in weight.

Still looking for a cheap extra spool for it though. :(

PM Out

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the Loop Evotec LW 8/12. It was a beautiful reel to behold and, as you say, very light. It did not, however, seem very substantial to me and the spool was very hard to change -- something that is very easy with the Van Staal. I might, on the other hand, feel more comfortable with the Evotec HD. Its almost as pretty, not quite as light, but much more substantial. IMHO, it still is not as impressive as the Van Staal

·
Registered
267 Posts
The new Redington 'Brakewater' reels are now available. The 2 larger sizes (9/10 @ 9.8 oz., $289; 11/12/13 @ 10.5 oz., $299) have good capacity for spey needs. Not as light as you can find but they should be very durable.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Hmmm, Van Stahl reels don't think I ever seen one of those.

Will look it up.

PM Out

·
Registered
235 Posts
Harris...

The Harris IV or even V depending on what line you put on. I just saw an article about flyfishing pocket water for large trout with the lightweight sage euro spey 12'6" 6wt with a Harris IV reel.

The newer LA's might be worth a look, they are defintly worth the money!:D

J

·
0 Posts
If you're struggling to change spools on the Loop Evotec reels it has to be because you are not doing it correctly. You do NOT remove the cap that holds the spool on. Refer back to your instruction manual. It takes less than a minute to change spools. It is not as easy as Harris or Charlton because those reels have an open frame, but it certainly is not difficult and there are no loose parts to lose.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JR,

Unfortunately, I had one of the first to be sold obver here. The only instruction sheet included was for the old Evotec, with a supplement sheet applying to the LW. I am mechanically challenged with the best of instructions, so that put me in the dark when it came to spool changes. In any event, I sold the reel awhile back, so its a non-issue for me now. I am, however, happy you pointed this out to the other posters. I do not like to criticize something without foundation.

CK

·
Registered
235 Posts
The IV...

The Harris IV balances perfectly with the Sage Euro 12'6" 6wt.

The V is a little heavier, and you don't need to go that big. A loop might be the best choice, the evotec LW's are very light.

My personal favorite is the Tibor Backcountry Wide, it only weighs 6oz and is a supreme reel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Reels

I like the Tibor reels also. The Backcountry Wide is an excellent reel. Another reel that is very light is Ayr. Their website is ayr.com. They appear to be very light. I do not know how they perform.

·
Registered
459 Posts
My 20 year old Marryat Classic MR 9 is 5.25 ozs, with a beautiful Golden Bronze finish, and will look lovely on the Sage Lite Spey with its Tiger Paw (bronze) finish.

I thought that one through in the first 10 seconds I had it in my hand standing next to Smolt (Charles) at the fly fishing show.

;);)

PM Out

·
Registered
459 Posts
Beleive me it can carry a spey line and 100 yards of backing at least. Its there salt water reel. It takes a regular fly line and 300 yards of 20 lb backing easy.

Bring it on.

PM Out

1 - 13 of 13 Posts