Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
BBCT
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When your tying a fly, like a Black Dog, one with a floss body, no dubbing, and hackle how do you tie down the hackle?

I assume the floss is tied down at the front of the fly and run down to the end and then back to the front.

So, do you tie down the hackle, and then run the floss front to back to front and just work around the hackle? Or do you start the floss and run it front to back and then use the floss to tie down the hackle as you are bring the floss back to the front of the fly?

Thanks for the help,
Chris

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I am very, very , very far from the most skilled tier to post here, but I secure the hackle with thread first and then work around it with the floss.

·
Spey Hack
153 Posts
From my somewhat limited experience I highly prefer to break it up depending on where I am starting my hackle. If I am starting my hackly anywhere but near the middle it isnt worth breaking it up though. I prefer to break it up and do two down and backs becasue enough floss to do an entire body will likley become abused by the end of the wrapping because I cut my piece of floss from the spool at an appropriate length prior to wrapping and that can be a very long piece for a larger fly. The issue is that you are more prone to seeing the junction. For a fishing fly this is no big deal and I certainly do not tie display quality flies but with enough care and burnishing the junction can be well hidden combined with the fact you are more than likley going to tying your hackle behind a piece of tinsel that will hopefully line up with the junction and distract the eye. Hope this helps. I am a pro by no means that just how I would go about it on larger flies. That being said, on smaller flies I usually wrap around the hackle which is not much of an issue.

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
You are on the right track. I like to use thread to secure the hackle because i can form the smooth platform for the silk this way. otherwise you can have bumps at the tie in point if you just tie in with silk. also I would not trust it to hold nearly as well. starting the silk or floss up front lets you build a base of silk and of color, then the second layer looks much better. With tinsel you don't do this, just start at the back and hope you put your hackle in the right spot! Good luck

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Like many methods, you're sure to get varying responses based on what works for people.

The method I use doesn't necessarily apply to the Black Dog but is how I tie other hackle body flies.

• First I fold the hackle feather I plan to use.
  • Then I cut some barbs close to the rachis at the top of the feather I want to tie in so that it has something to grab and hold.
  • I then tie it in with thread prior to floss, and do a dry run to determine where my ribbing will be compared to my hackle.
  • Then I wax my thread with cobblers wax, make sure it's flat, then tie it in and keep it out of the way.
  • Then apply the floss
What he said!

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Like many methods, you're sure to get varying responses based on what works for people.

The method I use doesn't necessarily apply to the Black Dog but is how I tie other hackle body flies.

• First I fold the hackle feather I plan to use.
  • Then I cut some barbs close to the rachis at the top of the feather I want to tie in so that it has something to grab and hold.
  • I then tie it in with thread prior to floss, and do a dry run to determine where my ribbing will be compared to my hackle.
  • Then I wax my thread with cobblers wax, make sure it's flat, then tie it in and keep it out of the way.
  • Then apply the floss
Word ! Jon knows.

·
Registered
506 Posts
You can also tie in two peices of floss at the tag so you dont need a giant peice to go there and back. Then either use the floss or the thread to tie in the hackle.

As with everything in this hobby, is pretty much up to you. Try out all methods!

·
BBCT
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks

Thanks for all of the responses, lots of food for thought.

Chris -

1 - 10 of 10 Posts