Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All.

About the end of last summer I kinda started a little personal project to further educate myself on the dressings, design, history and nuances of the split wing style of "Dee Fly" that I love to fish and tie. So I set about looking thru all of the books I had access to, speaking to other tiers about patterns they had seen and where and of course scouring the web. I could have just went to Colin's "Feathers, Flies and Phantoms" site as I could not find a single dressing of this type/style that was not already compiled and listed by Colin (AWESOME work Colin! thank-you from us all!!). I had a ton of fun tying these and learning from all the old patterns, some of these flies have been posted here individually in the past. In any event.... here are a few pictures of the results, 33 patterns, most are tyed on vintage irons from size 5/0 thru size 1.

Now..... what to do with them.....?

Cheers and tight lines.
James

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
HOLLY COW BATMAN, your gonna need a bigger box for that lot :hihi:
Beautiful collection, time to fish them now!!!

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DD.

HAHAHA! Look mate.... you have no idea of the photoshop skills necessary to pull off this sort of ruse.....

Riffle... Brother I have boxes full of fishers! And these do need a BIG BOX!

Cheers boys.
J.

·
Administrator
19,097 Posts
Over the top tying James !!
The split wing Dee fly is very dear to my heart, like most of you know.
If I had to choose only one style of fly to fish from now on, it would be the Dee fly.
Great post James !!

Mike

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
These do need a big box. It's too bad you don't now anyone with bamboo….. er, woodworking skills.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mike... I'm in the same camp brother!

SLSS.... Haha! You think you got projects on the go!

Wharfrat.... Shouldnt you be floating down a trout filled heaven right now? :razz:

Dee love.
J.

·
Registered
481 Posts
James,

That is one fine bit of tying you've put together. I love seeing big sets of flies, and these are impressive! I think they deserve to fish, so you should tie another set up to put under glass and enjoy (Inletted into a glass topped coffee table would be real nice).

Thanks for sharing!

AO

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I too have a real soft spot for these flies, I completely agree with Mike in the fact that I could only fish Dees forever and be content!

Aaron has a great idea about the coffee table idea! I love it! Maybe tie amother set with modern hooks for fishing and toss these guys under some glass.

You know how I feel about your Dees James, stellar work

·
Registered
361 Posts
Awesome collection James. Very well done!

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks fellas :)

Aaron, cheers for all the great feathers brother! Alot of your plumes are in this set. I dig seeing big collections of flies as well. As for the coffee table display, that would look very cool, maybe filled with moss, bark and rocks collected from some favorite rivers as a canvas... However I think I may be at critical mass with my mrs. As far as fishing paraphenilia around the homestead is concerned.... :hihi:

Josh. I think that is a great idea! I have a very special trip planned this year to a ledgendary river with some great friends and another set on modern hooks to fish that river seems like a great choice!

Cheers!
J.

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
this is just nasty nice. thanks for sharing your work. I love it. if you need help making it through all 33, I may know a guy who fishes dees year round

·
Internet Scientist
1,302 Posts
A slight paraphrase...

"Artistic is that artistic does"

A legendary river for who I believe is becoming a legendary fisherman.:smokin:

·
Registered
895 Posts
Beautifully done, James. What an undertaking this must have been!

I've only tied a few Dees that I was satisfied with, but I do love them.

Outstanding collection- fish them well!

-Bill

·
Registered
61 Posts
I saw them with my own eyes. Amazing collection of flies and quite the undertaking. Well done James!!

·
Registered
255 Posts
SWEET!! Awesome stuff Brotha! Quite a collection you got there, and a lot of work for sure. I'll be up in early August to check'em out!

Cheers,
Scott

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You guys are too good! Thanks so much, i guess tying these over something like 5-6 months makes it feel like it was not a great deal of work, besides... Time spent doing something you enjoy can hardly be called work!

Cheers.
J.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts