Spey Pages banner

What do you do with the flies you receive in a swap?

• I fish them!

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • I keep them for study or reference.

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • I collect them.

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • All of the above

Votes: 13 65.0%
  • I do something else with them.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious to know what people do with the flies that they receive. Do you fish them? Keep them for study or comparison? Collect them? All of the above? Something else?

I have participated in one fly swap and I have finished 9 of 11 flies for Marty's retirement swap. I may stay up late tonight and polish them off. Anyway, the flies that I have so far are in a box, but have not been fished so far. I am debating what to do. This poll and responses might sway my decision to keep or fish them.

Mark

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Rare for me to fish one.

Most of these ties are 'things' I only know about but never seen. Idea that someone actually tied this for me over rides my urge to end up possibly loosing same. On old Guy thing I guess.

fae

·
Registered
940 Posts
Flies

I like fishing the flies I tie, so the vast majority of the flies I receive in swaps remain in boxes, with what ever tag came with them. If I ever have a question as to how to tie a fly and remember that I received one in a swap, I review it. That, however, is the most I do with the flies received.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I have never participated in a "display" swap so mine get fished, I know all the flies I send out are certainly intended for a jaw so I award the same honor to the people that send them to me

·
Registered
784 Posts
I pretty much enter swaps so I can tie flies I've never tied before.

Most of the swap flies i've gotten back are still in the boxes in which they were shipped to me.

E

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Some I fish some I hang onto to admire. For me, it's kinda cool having flies from all over the place, I have more flies than I'll ever be able to use. I suspect many are in the same boat.

·
Registered
895 Posts
My vote went to collecting them.

I have only participated in one other "official" swap, and I thought it would be nice to keep them together. Someday, when time allows, maybe put them in a frame to hang up above the tying desk.

The ones I fish, however, are gathered from "mini" swaps. Exchanges of wonderful bits of tying from members that I have had contact with over the years, and what great ties they've been!!

Thanks,

-Bill

·
Registered
392 Posts
Most of the folks I've been in swaps with I know and have fished with for years. Those flies I keep; because they're tied by my friends.

A couple other swaps, the guys would be mad if I didn't fish them. Lets me use a different type or style of fly I wouldn't normally too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts