Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Had a couple fellas over for some tying (thanks Josh and Bob) and we mostly did Scotch drinking and telling of stories. managed to put out this thing during the day somehow. Plenty of subs, tied for fishing.

I did the underwing in strands, then a roughly married overwing that got brushed out. i really messed up this near side mallard i guess, as it slipped down to the side. one of the few flies where the far side actually looks better. but I''m showing the ugly side. I'm getting pretty low on Kingfisher so these cheeks are not super nice. finished with a herl head because it looked lame with just thread. Since there are 2 herl butts, why not complete it with herl head?

i think peacock wing is my new favorite wing material. it marries with anything and everything. It ties in clean and easy. its cheaper than turkey these days, and its colors are great!

can't wait to try this one again!! but the Baron is next!

·
Registered
ACR, Echo DHII, Danielsson, Leland, Hardy, Rio, Airflo
3,705 Posts
Josh Did Not

Take that one home???

Great Tie Matt

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Yes, peacock wing secs are pretty much tops, good to have at least 10-15 pairs at all time. Pricey but worth it. Note worthy: your balance line with hackle and back of wing is spot on IMO. Good one

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, peacock wing secs are pretty much tops, good to have at least 10-15 pairs at all time. Pricey but worth it. Note worthy: your balance line with hackle and back of wing is spot on IMO. Good one
thanks man, I like longer hackles for the fishers, so I wanted the hackles to go back to the butt and kinda come close to the veilings in length.

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,162 Posts
You DID seem pretty serious across the table, but your thread rack was hiding your work from me. Now I can see why you were so involved. Josh and I were just sipping whisky, munching on your nachos, and going over wing sets. Thanks to you both for sharing techniques.

Looking forward to our next gathering.

The time you spent getting that wing set close to the body was well worth it!

·
JD
3,612 Posts
Tying & sipping

Having never developed the skills, or the patience for the former, I have to admit, I'm much better at the latter. Nevertheless, would love to be included among such friends. Well done btw.

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Mostly I was noting the line drawn at the angle of the hackle and back of wing, I always try to draw a straight line between the two intersecting the butt. I fail alot at it though, :Eyecrazy:

·
Registered
895 Posts
Sounds like you guys had a good time.

Great tie, Matt. I've found peacock to be my favorite too. Love it!

Funny that you mention the far side of the fly looking better, as the last few mixers with a roof I've done came out much more pleasing on the back side.

I was going to razor them, then figured- just save them for swinging when I'm on the right bank of the river! :hihi:

-Bill

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Sweet fly Matt. That's cool u guys get together to tie and drink. Wish I had friends near who enjoyed the same things.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
as per the usual this fly is a real stunner in person!

Wayne, I should have snatched it huh?!? Haha

Honyuk, I am very fortunate to have moved here and met people that are as passionate about feathers, fish, and good beverages.

I had a good time too guys, now that the waters coming down let's put em to work!

·
Administrator
19,096 Posts
Brilliant flee :smokin:
Irons , feathers and Scotch ... nice mix !!
Actually sounds like a great new section here :hihi:

Mike

·
Registered
361 Posts
Nicely done Matt!

How do you get herl to stay in place with a head that steeply profiled? Whenever I try to do herl or wool heads like that the material slides forward and out of place. Maybe you've got some kind of magic wax or something?:chuckle::Eyecrazy::chuckle:

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nicely done Matt!

How do you get herl to stay in place with a head that steeply profiled? Whenever I try to do herl or wool heads like that the material slides forward and out of place. Maybe you've got some kind of magic wax or something?:chuckle::Eyecrazy::chuckle:
luck, wax, and spit. and I tied this one in forward, wrapped backward, then back forward. This is my second or third herl head, i have no idea what I'm doing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts