Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just let my mind wander on this one so dont beat me up to bad. Just started grabbing materials and this is what happened. Haha

IMG_1178.jpg

IMG_1179.jpg

IMG_1180.jpg

IMG_1181.jpg

IMG_1182.jpg

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Nice looking fly.

I'd do three things:

1) make the tail not longer than the hook bend.
2) have the tip and tags start in front of the hook point
3) strip one side of the hackle and tie in it by the tip (still at the front like you did). This will produce a sparser, less dense hackle that has the longest fibers at the rear of the fly very much like old spey flies that were tied with "spey cock" hackle.

To have it go from very nice looking, to "WOW, now that's a spey fly" when someone sees it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice looking fly.

I'd do three things:

1) make the tail not longer than the hook bend.
2) have the tip and tags start in front of the hook point
3) strip one side of the hackle and tie in it by the tip (still at the front like you did). This will produce a sparser, less dense hackle that has the longest fibers at the rear of the fly very much like old spey flies that were tied with "spey cock" hackle.

To have it go from very nice looking, to "WOW, now that's a spey fly" when someone sees it.
My mind was heading elsewhere when I started with the tag. I should have moved everything to the point of the hook and then when I got to the front of the hook the wings would have tied in better and it would have had smaller head. Thanks for pointing those things out.

·
Registered
895 Posts
My mind was heading elsewhere when I started with the tag. I should have moved everything to the point of the hook and then when I got to the front of the hook the wings would have tied in better and it would have had smaller head. Thanks for pointing those things out.
I like where you were going with this! Great combo of colors!!

You can't go wrong with advice from Russ (flytyer), and you seem to have a grasp on what he said, so tie another one and post it up!! Although, if you're like me, you've gone past this one and are already plucking away at the next tie.

Either way, I'm sure it will be great!

-Bill

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like where you were going with this! Great combo of colors!!

You can't go wrong with advice from Russ (flytyer), and you seem to have a grasp on what he said, so tie another one and post it up!! Although, if you're like me, you've gone past this one and are already plucking away at the next tie.

Either way, I'm sure it will be great!

-Bill
I had to go back to basics and incorporate what Russ said. I tied a more basic fly to get proportions correct before moving on with this fly. I appreciate all comments. Good or bad.
Thanks

·
Administrator
19,089 Posts
Russ has some great advice , he has helped out so many tiers on this forum , he has given me some excellent instruction and critique . I always look forward to his comments :)

I like the colours and contrast of this fly ... think it's going to hunt for you very well !!

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts