Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Grandpa Howard
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One married wing for luck. Being retired now you would think I would have time to build a proper selection. This style is one of my favorites. Married or just a plain Jane wing makes little difference. No wild and crazy materials, pheasant rump and schlappen for the collar. A few years back I started adding the under-wing. More than just looks it adds balance. Thanks for all the support and thanks for looking.

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,350 Posts
The double JC nails is a killer idea Marty !! Love it !!
Got to love those dark flies with a bit of POP thrown in :smokin::smokin:

Mike

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
In a word...SWEET!!

·
Undertaker
1,333 Posts
Pretty freaking awesome, Marty. Gotta love the sheen on that turkey wing and the hackle. I haven't a clue whether that sheen attracts fish or not, but it does attract me.

·
Registered
367 Posts
A nice modern take on a classic fly that doesn’t use feathers at $20 a pop( or more )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Grandpa Howard
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pretty freaking awesome, Marty. Gotta love the sheen on that turkey wing and the hackle. I haven't a clue whether that sheen attracts fish or not, but it does attract me.
The iridescence of the turkey and the pheasant rump do add a natural spark. I was told when I first started tying flies, trout love peacock herl for the same reasons. Peacock herl seems to work well on trout and has proven effective on steelhead. The Coachman, Undertacker, and the Undercoach (a Marty variation of the two) have taken countless numbers of steelhead. The natural iridescence found on turkey and pheasant feather is much the same as the spark found on peacock herl. I am with you, not sure if the sheen gets the grab, but I do find confidence when I add it to my flies.

·
Registered
367 Posts
If put some nymphs under a microscope, I’m thinking of BWO’s in particular, they have the
Same colour and iridescence as peacock tail on their thorax’s. Maybe that’s why people herl flies work so well. Lots of soft hackles patterns have a small peacock herl head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Grandpa Howard
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What is the speckled strip down the center of the wing?
Very nice fly.
Speckled Bustard (Kori)

You could also use snowflake Argus, Amherst pheasant or Palm Turkey.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts