Spey Pages banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little OT; what's the longest spey rod that can fit inside a Chevy Suburban?

Specifically inside from the rear door to the windshield as opposed to on top... Later model; 2011 and newer.

Just trying to pick out my next vehicle and want to know if I should cross it off the list or do some more research.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
jut saying - it takes little more than 30 seconds to break a rod down and wrap with velcro straps - probably safer than having them strung and laying on things.

Had a friend make a rod rack in a suburban once - we wanted to be organized so we also hung our vests from it - that is when it collapsed and he had two Scott G series trout rods snap as they came down on his headrest!!!

·
Registered
328 Posts
For short jaunts between pull outs I'll put my rod in my Suburban without breaking it down. It's 13'4. A little maneuvering puts it in an ok position. It's not a best case scenario when buddies are along with multiple rods, and it's a poor idea when your dog can't decide which window he wants his head out!

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,165 Posts
On a trip to the N. Umpqua last month, Bob Meiser showed me a rod condom (well, that's what WE called it) he'd recently purchased. It's a woven nylon sleeve that slides easily over your rod, once broken in half. Leave the line out, fly clipped into the reel, double the pieces together, and slide this thing over. It keeps lines from tangling with other rods, dogs, waders, etc, and protects it as well.

Brilliant idea!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I already have an F150 that's starting to show it's age; extended cab, sliding rear window with a cap. I put the rod from the back of the bed through the rear window to the front between the drivers and passengers seat area. It works pretty well when I go on my 3 week fishing trip. I can understand breaking down rods for a day of fishing a week, but it would get old on day 3 of my trip....

Just thinking that I've always wanted a Suburban and now might be the time to buy.

·
Registered
879 Posts
On a trip to the N. Umpqua last month, Bob Meiser showed me a rod condom (well, that's what WE called it) he'd recently purchased. It's a woven nylon sleeve that slides easily over your rod, once broken in half. Leave the line out, fly clipped into the reel, double the pieces together, and slide this thing over. It keeps lines from tangling with other rods, dogs, waders, etc, and protects it as well.
BBudesa,

I'm glad you are practicing safe rod handling these days. The CDC says that 50% of all rods under the age of 30 have been exposed to HPV so remember, always practice safe rod handling, and never leave home without at least one such condom... :chuckle: :hihi:

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,165 Posts
One can't be too careful these days. And at 63, I'm too old to have rodlets!

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,307 Posts
If and when I move assembled rods I use something similar to what Nate posted. Mine is a very old magnetic type sold by Orvis around 1993.

It will hold rods ranging from my 6'6" flea up to 15 foot Spey sticks. The only 2 times I put a rod inside a vehicle without being in a tube both rods were damaged. Not a bad average considering how many years are involved. I just won't risk one of my 2 hand rods being broken so they travel in tubes unless I use the rod rack to move along a river. In my boat the rack holds them vertically so the only time they are not racked is when there are overhanging trees along the rivers.

I fish some weird rods so that's part of my overprotective nature. If you break one of your 1981 Hardy's you don't mail it in for a new tip............

I just noticed; if you look at that picture close you notice the heavy line on the leader. That is one of those sinking sections I talk about using and it's on a 9' 5 weight. I was up in the Denali area grayling fishing when I took the picture. I catch grayling here swinging small Dee flies using single hand rods when the streams are not too big :)

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies. It looks like the suburban will fit my needs pretty well.

I know more than a few folks that use the magnetic hood systems and they work great for them. I prefer to keep my rods inside the truck while moving from spot to spot. Just personal preference; with my luck a bird would be flying by and somehow get hooked. I'd watch as all my line and backing were stripped from the reel and rod get torn off the holder while I was screeching to a stop....

And it looks like I found a potential vehicle. :)

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I use the same method shown by Whitney - really fast - can do this easily with a 3 piece rod as well

1 - 17 of 17 Posts