Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
******* hippie
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm trying to create a low, clear water pattern and I could use some guidance. These are expensive materials, so I dont want to waste any. Should the wing go on last? I have a p.b. wing, and blue eared pheasant over it. Should the wing length match the hackle length? Should I have used an under hackle, then the wing, then the b.e. pheasant? Should the jc line up with the hook shank or the wing...or inbetween? Like I said, any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Dom
3,156 Posts
Traditionally hairwing is tied on last and hackle used is short rooster or hen. Of course there are exceptions and prime example is Sunburst spey by Davie McPhail published on YouTube. Your pattern resembles that fly style.

·
******* hippie
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dude. You're good. I had recently watched that video and that, was what inspired me to go with the more expensive blue eared pheasant. I have been a big fan of ringneck rump feathers for some time, they are cheaper, but not as long and as flowie....should I have gone with ring neck here?

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Either way really, and there are several way to tie-in hair wings. One way is to tie the wing first, the hackle is used to cover the wing-butts. Your fly could be categorized as a Spider or as a Hairwing. Since you don't indicate which other than "low clear water" - again - the proprtions can go either way. As a hair wing - the hackle would be short. Shorter than the wing at least. Tied as a "low water" fly - it would be greatly reduced in proportions with the entire dressing forward of the hook point, on the shank and with more "hold off" from the eye. In other words as if you where dressing a size 6 or 8 only tied on a size 1-2 for example.

Since you don't mention a style of fly (or category) and because every tier has their own - it's really all up to you how you want the fly to look.

I recommend a copy of "Steelhead Fly Tying Guide." ISBN:1-878175-85-8

·
Registered
547 Posts
Just some thoughts on the low water part of your question. I would suggest that the tail and tag are too long. The tie in point of the tail is ok but but only half the length would be more appropriate. Also about half the length for the butt as well. The PB wing could nestle into the tail and be quite happy, especially if it were a bit lower. The length you have now or perhaps just a bit shorter would be fine. I prefer the JC to mirror the wing. On a LW pattern, I would reduce the length of the hackles as well. On a normal hair wing fly, the throat hackle is roughly 2/3 of the distance between the tie in point and the hook point so with a LW version, shorter would be fine.

A lot of this again, is personal preference of course.

·
******* hippie
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A big help, thanks fellas. I will get that book. Right now I've been working out of john shewey's book, and a dvd by d.hogan and m.howard. davie mcphail's videos are helpful too. I have been trying to tie on doubles, but havent been really happy with how they've turned out. I'll keep at it. Thanks again for the input.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Nice fly! Bet if you take the fly in your photo out, it will catch fish. For low water, my preference would be a very sparse wing; or no wing. Your hackle will really work in the current as-is. My dressed down Lady Carolines look so awful, I won't show them here, but have no problem showing them to the fish!
You could likely just leave the PB out and fish your pattern as a spider. Maybe spin a small dubbing ball on just behind the hackle. You would end up with something nice and buggy! Just my thoughts for what they are worth. Oops, you have a thorax! Just remove the white PB wing, and shorten the JC a bit. What's not to like!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts