Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently started using a two handed rod to chase striped bass in my local river (Congaree River in Columbia, SC), I have been trying to get a good setup for a beginner to cast minnow imitations to the stripers. Luckily my job allows me access to some rods. I currently have Hardy Marksman 2 7wt T, and a Fenwick Aetos 7/8wt 11'1" switch rod. I have been using the Switch rod with a airflo short scandi head. When I use a single hand rod my flies are normally weighted. But they are not easy to cast for a beginner on a two handed rod. So I tied up some deceivers to use. I would like to be able get the flies deeper, so I am wondering if I should buy skagit head, and throw weight, or get some sinking poly leaders. Like an intermediate poly leader or slow sinking. Nothing too aggressive, the river is relatively shallow. Thanks for any advice you can offer. I hate to spend money on heads or leaders and never use them.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Intermediate scandi head to start and then add pollys of different sink rates if needed more depth should handle moderatly weighted flies.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I don't know anything about stripers, but I'd probably start by trying sinking and fast sink polyleaders on your current scandi line. If these don't turn over the larger flies or don't get deep enough, then an intermediate scandi or skagit with T-8 sink tips or MOW tips would be worth giving a shot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts