Spey Pages banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ian Gordon is the Musto/CLA Spey casting champion for 2001, and runner up in this year's event with a cast of 48 yards. We've recently exchanged emails and I asked Ian if I could share his notes with Spey Clave readers. The text follows below. Thanks to Ian for his generous consent and participation!

Dana,

I have now just had a chance to look at your website, very interesting! I had heard that the art of Speycasting was beginning to get more popular in the States and the presence of both Steve and Way at the gamefair shows just how interested you are in it.
You will note I refer to Speycasting as an art. Being born and brought up on the Spey and fishing the river since the age of eight, I have seen many changes in the type of tackle anglers come to fish the river with. As the materials change, so casting techniques also change.
Speycasting is about grace and elegance, being able to cast the flyline to the fishing distance without effort, irrespective of whether you have obstacles like trees behind you. The keywords here are "without effort". From a very young age I would sit on the river-bank and watch people fishing. All the best Speycasters had one thing in common, they put very little effort into the cast. Through the years I have studied great casters like, John Ashley Cooper and Arthur Oglesby, through to the present day casters like Michael Evans.
It was through watching these people and the differences in their techniques, I got to understand the mechanics of the art.
Each individual has a particular technique, I remember John Ashley Cooper remarking, when picking up his first carbon rod, "this is not a fishing rod It's too light and too stiff".
A number of years later I was approached by Ken Walker, to test a rod made from, what was then a new material [high modulus carbon].
I was truly amazed at the efficiency of this rod, my casting distance improved over night. From this, I went on to forge a good relationship with Ken and since then I have developed a range of Speycasting rods which I believe are second to none.
Carron Rods are essentially custom built to suit the casting technique of the individual. The range starts at 13' up to 16'. They can be either three or four section rods.
The range has been developed by myself over the past four years and is on going.
Each rod in the range is available in five different actions from soft through action, to stiff tip action, this enables me to look at the casting technique of individual and assess which rod would suit.
The feed back I have had from customers to date has been fantastic, the most frequent comment being, how much more they are enjoying their casting.
My flyline, The Carron "JETSTREAM" is also proving very popular with visiting anglers and Ghillies. At the moment it comes in floating and intermediate form, with a line rating of 10 - 11. Essentially it differs from anything on the market because of the profile of the casting head and one other secret ingredient. Everyone who has used it, without exception, talks about the quality of presentation and how easy it is to shoot line. The head length is 70 feet, but because of the nature of the rear taper it casts just as well, picking up between 50 and 70 feet of line.
This is the line I was fishing with at the CLA gamefair, on a 16' three piece Carron rod.
The rod I used in last year's competition, was a 16' four piece Carron rod. The reason I changed to the three piece was, this year, it was held on running water and with my technique, I needed a slightly faster rod.

As you may gather I am very enthusiastic about Speycasting, I am also a qualified STANIC Speycasting instructor and love to share with people the finer points of the art. The American enthusiasm is only too obvious through your website and by the presence of Steve and Way at the competition. It would be fantastic if a similar event was to take place in the States to promote the art of Speycasting in your country.
I have met a lot of fine people through Salmon Fishing, all of which strive to better their casting technique, only by sharing information is this possible.
I also write the monthly column for the Spey in the Trout and Salmon magazine and will shortly be posting the monthly article on my www.speycaster.co.uk website, this is an informative site looking into to what is happening as far as conservation and enhancement of salmon stocks in the river. You can also find my business site at www.carron-rod-and-case.co.uk this will give you an overview of what I am doing.
I am very impressed by your website and very much look forward to possibly entering into discussion on it, or passing on information regarding all aspects of Speycasting.

With Best Regards

Ian Gordon

1 - 1 of 1 Posts