Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took me years to run down one of the few, and I didn't give a tinkers dam about the price. Knew Lee/Dottie for decades and 'He's building reels????!!!!':eek:

Yes-yes, I paid a premium price but didn't give a flying fig. THE THING you must have. In my hands this PM's mail delivery. Everything I expected save for a campfire, toasting 'Mellows' and a pot luck dinner in the RV park. Lee/Dottie .. exceptional people. If you got to know them you were Blessed by the Blessed. Two hours sitting in front of a camp fire and not a word spoken; tonnes of mental thoughts transferred.

That was Lee/Dottie, and the rest, in fold out chairs. Wood table piled high with Gram crackers, Here's' choc squarea, mellows and toasting sticks. Even the kids didn't say a word; they understood 'Quite time on the side of a river.' Only words were 'Time to tuck you into a sleeping bag.' Age ran from 'five' to '55.' Us old guys hit the Colman's at zero dark 30 with coffee; pull a large cup and 'Breakfast is at 1000.'

Some times we even had a fresh caught Steelhead as part of BK!:D A BBQ was fired up/ready to go .. some times it got feast fish. Usually something from some time back. Anyone care??

Not that I can remember.:smokin:

fae

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good question Ard.

I've never seen one Fred, where can I find a picture?
Very few of these actually made (to my knowledge) which is why it took me so long to find one. Extremely fine machining tolerances and build is 'rock solid.' 'Drag is a very loud Hardy type 'clicker' that you could hear a block away down the beach with 'Fish On.' The 'clicker' provides all the 'drag' you'd normally need on a 2hander.

Almost zip on the Internet about these reels which is probably why it took me so darned long to run one down. Reel I got is as close to 'NIB' as you can get. Not a scratch anywhere. As to a photo, the only one I found was on Poppy's 'Redshed' web site. Mine has slightly different 'markings' but I suspect the 'insides' are the same.

Fred

·
Registered
246 Posts
Leroy is making a very cool reel. I have one on order that he is building to my specs. Some of his recent changes that he has made like the two way check is really nice. Can't wait for him to finish mine.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MANY THANKS Matthew!

Here you go Fred

I'm glad this reel went to a good home

The reel met/exceed all of my expectations. Have e-mails/PM's out to a fellow to build me a 6/7 silk line to go on my Boo. Never put this rod together (splice fittings) as it needed just 'the reel' and a silk line. Old Guy thing, but a 60 year 'walk back' to Canada and the mouth of the Babine river. Mr. Cole would 'collect' me and we'd be gone for a couple of weeks camping in a wax canvas tent. Guy could find dry wood in a rain storm so fire was always going, and a the cast iron pans/pots at the ready.

Cut up spuds/carrots, hell what ever you could find in Ocean Falls and into his 16 foot boat with a 5 hp (think that's right) motor and up the sound we'd go. I'm damned sure my mother advised the local RCMP of our 'outing' as they'd show up every couple of days to 'check us out' and bring in some bags of 'canned groceries.' :roll: Early in the season just two RCMP, feed, then four, then to eight (I kid you not). We'd dug, well tossed rocks, out a pit above high tide and lined it with large beach rocks. Hot fire on those then a heavy layer of sea weed. On went the clams, Oysters, and a couple of fresh fish.' Another heavy layer of sea weed to seal the whole thing up.

HONK-HONK-HONK and the 'just checking in' would show up like clock work.
:D

A good time to be young, a very good time, and a very good place. Well the times a Griz sniffed the wind and 'desired' he liked our 'dinner' I could have done without that being about 5'2" and 80'is pounds. But two fire sharpen 10-12 foot poles, save for one. That Bear was a total A$$ Hole, and the size/weight to back it up.

There the two of us waded up to (well my) middle and let him have his way. Damned thing made a hell of a mess but found out that a 'red hot' cast iron fry pan was not to be messed with. At least not twice.:tsk_tsk:

When the damned thing screamed leaves and branches fell of trees. Last, that I can remember, we saw of him.

fae

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MANY THANKS Matthew!

Here you go Fred

I'm glad this reel went to a good home

The reel met/exceed all of my expectations. Have e-mails/PM's out to a fellow to build me a 6/7 silk line to go on my Boo. Never put this rod together (splice fittings) as it needed just 'the reel' and a silk line.

Old Guy thing, but a 60 year 'walk back' to Canada and the mouth of the Babine river. Mr. Cole would 'collect' me and we'd be gone for a couple of weeks camping in a wax canvas tent. Guy could find dry wood in a rain storm so fire was always going, and a the cast iron pans/pots at the ready.
Cut up spuds/carrots, hell what ever you could find in Ocean Falls and into his 16 foot boat with a 5 hp (think that's right) motor and up the sound we'd go. I'm damned sure my mother advised the local RCMP of our 'outing' as they'd show up every couple of days to 'check us out' and bring in some bags of 'canned groceries.' :roll: (Well, Mr. C needed to replenish his 'adult refreshments.')

Early in the season just two RCMP, feed, then four, then to eight (I kid you not). We'd dug, well tossed rocks, out a pit above high tide and lined it with large beach rocks. Hot fire on those then a heavy layer of sea weed. On went the clams, Oysters, and a couple of fresh fish.' Another heavy layer of sea weed to seal the whole thing up.

HONK-HONK-HONK-A-HOY THE BEACH! and the 'just checking in' would show up like clock work.
:D

A good time to be young, a very good time. Well the time a Griz sniffed the wind and 'desired' he liked our 'dinner' I could have done without that being about 5'2" and 80'is pounds. But two fire sharpen 10-12 foot poles, 'at the ready.' That Bear was a total A$$ Hole, and the size/weight to back it up.

There the two of us waded up to (well my) middle and let him have his way. Damned thing made a hell of a mess but found out that a 'red hot' cast iron fry pan was not to be messed with. At least not twice.:tsk_tsk:

When the damned thing screamed leaves and branches fell off trees. Last, that I can remember, we saw of him.

fae

·
Registered
149 Posts
A Leroy Teeple reel, LOUD and CRISPY

Fred said it right. They are such a fine couple!

I do have a couple of Teeple reels. Have been using them for chasing Clearwater B fish for three or four years now. I do enjoy fishing them. Balance well with my 15' and 15'6 rods. Excellent finishes. The sound of click has a class its own: LOUD and CRISPY! If you like loud and crispy click sounds, and in the process of getting a reel, send me an email/PM or simply send LeRoy Teeple (speyrd) a PM for a demo reel. You will like it.

Simon Hsieh
Nextcast

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Totally PUMPED!

Monday's mail and three new silk lines from the UK. This is turning out to be a great week with the new reel, new lines and a new rod from Steve G due by the end of the week.

Early Christmas!!!!!!:smokin:

fae

1 - 12 of 12 Posts