Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had some time to unwind at the vise today after work.
A 3/0 J.S. Not exactly to the recipe... ;)

Cheers.
James

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
That is a great fly, it will be sending signals to those chrome critters!!!!

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Outstanding work James.

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
first off... who unwinds at a vise?...

...for I often sit down here just to cramp my back and strain my eyes.

slight observation of very little importance:
an inclusion of red, yellow and blue would have perfected this for me.
perhaps next time?

by the by, I love these 'cross-overs'; they show an equal amount of imagination, ability and recklessness.

cheers,
shawn

·
Administrator
19,127 Posts
Beauty James, this one has lots of POP factor built in :smokin:
The contrast of the Argus is perfect to my eyes, love the sword placement too !!

Mike

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kevin.
Right on man! I took a look at Colin's site and sure enough..... right there on a page from a 1917 Hardy catalog is a split wing J.S. with a wing of dark brown, very cool. Hardy called this series of flies "Monoplane" which is an interesting name that I may have to adopt! Others listed on the same Monoplane page included a Thunder and lightning, Black Doctor, Durham Ranger and a Torrish among other popular patterns of the day. Thanks for the heads up, I have probably scrolled over this image on the site 10 times and never really seen it for what it was!

Mitch.... Fair enough mate.... However I would argue that a cold beer and tying a fly is far less detail oriented than what I was doing ALL day yesterday.... maybe it was the beers that were the unwinding part? :chuckle:
The thought had crossed my mind to marry some red/bl/gr turkey to some cinnamon for the wing, but I chose to just stick with a single color and let the body be the fly, maybe next time.

DD..... you seriously crack me up sometimes :hihi:

Mike. I just had to work the swords in there somewhere, I thought about in the tail but it just didn't seem right. It's just not a J.S. without the swords!

Thanks much everyone for your kind words!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts