Spey Pages banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wasn’t sure if I should resurrect one of my previous threads or start a new one, but I think this deserves its own post. As my tying is progressing this spring I’m still very much enjoying tying my dry flies in hand. I committed to getting more comfortable working with spinning deer hair which lead me to spun, packed and trimmed deer hair bodies.

A friend of mine gave me some information on where I might find some fish willing to eat a dry on my home waters so I made a trip to the river not expecting much. Prior to heading up, I reached out to @GR8LAKES FLYER for some pattern advice and got to tying. I purchased an 8’ 7wt poppycane rod in the spring and these were my exact intentions for using the rod.

its a difficult spot to make a cast but surprisingly 3 drifts in a massive snout appeared and sucked down my fly with an audible “slurrrrrrppp” something I’ve never really seen anything like. I waited for what felt like an eternity for the fish to close its mouth and then mumbled “god save the Queen” and set the hook. Sure enough, a 10 second run straight upstream where I had no control whatsoever until the line went slack. I was not the least bit disappointed but more trying to collect myself and think “did that really just happen?”
The next day we started to receive extremely heavy rains which caused a major bump in flows not typical in the summer. I’m hoping temperatures stay cool (low 60s when I fished) to give me another shot this week or next once the water levels drop. Either way, very exciting stuff that I’m glad I had to opportunity to experience

·
Registered
302 Posts
Nice flies and a good story. Definitely deserves it's own thread. Fish was a steelhead I imagine? Hope you get out for a rematch soon if the water cooperates.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice flies and a good story. Definitely deserves it's own thread. Fish was a steelhead I imagine? Hope you get out for a rematch soon if the water cooperates.
I actually think it was an Atlantic and that was what the intended fish was supposed to be but I’m not 100% since all I saw was the snout take the fly

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
2,394 Posts
Very exciting and a great fly. I do it on occasion but hate spinning deer hair in hand. Messy.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Outstanding work - both at the tying bench, and on the river!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Nice flies Steve! You did the ultimate, getting a take on a surface fly during the summer! I think all the high water we have had the past week should have brought something into the river.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice flies Steve! You did the ultimate, getting a take on a surface fly during the summer! I think all the high water we have had the past week should have brought something into the river.
Thanks Paul, planning on floating tomorrow so I’ll report back if anything of interest happens

1 - 13 of 13 Posts