Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just a few recent ones fresh off the vice.
hope you enjoy.
all comments welcome.

a lil scruffy (top too long and generally hurried) but i think the pattern is sound and it should fish well

tied this one for those bright sunny days that we have none of...lol

and i had to get a dirty one in there for good measure.

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
Nice set dude, thats more like the Paulie who wasn't in hibernation... that shrimp is gonna get grabbed by one mean fresh buck...

I like your work on the top fly. one quick thing i notice about many of your tippet underwings.
make the tippet a bit more narrow, so its not pushing out the top of the wing quite as much. It will improve the harmony of your wings.

Quick tip i only just came across: you don't have to have the tippet fibres tie in right at the hook, you can leave some bare stem to get a thinner lower profile, then the wings sits right over the top of that bare stem, you don't even notice. its easier ot tie in, easier to get to sit low, and easier to mount the overwing. Win win win

thanks for sharing

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Fine point - Matt. One could also strip half of the tippet. They will always want to lay down one way better than the other, either near-side or far. Depending on the desired profile - it can tied in whole or stripped, tied in near or far-side. Or in strands if long enough. My thing is to line-up either of the dark bars on the tippet with the butt or tippet veiling when used. Only and just particulars to consider.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for all the input fellas. some good ideas. i try to tie all my feathers in full, but if they are covered i don't see why. also makes it easier to pic them ,not having to find the perfect size and all. i also try to pic my crests as a full feather so i can see the white butt , but i didn't have any that fit. any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
using the full feather is the way to go. for the tippet use spit to fine them out. for toppings just get few heads lol, but you can use little bigger crest tied in.short with good results sometimes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts