Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
with a thread title like this you'd think Christmas was approaching, but really if you think about it there aren't many shopping days left until Christmas 2007 now are there?

One of the fun things about running the Speypages is that I get to see most of the new and notable Spey-related stuff that's on the market. Here's a list of some of the things that caught my eye over the past year (in alphabetical order):

Al Buhr's Speycasting and Line Building Books
: talk to one of our sponsor shops and get your hands on these things. I've read Al's Spey book 4 or 5 times now and I learn something new each time. I wish I had his line building booklet back when I was cutting and splicing. If you are getting into custom lines, stop right now, get Al's book, read it, and then start cutting.

Bauer Reels: an old friend of mine has one of the original Bauers and I was looking at some video of us on the Dean the other night remembering how cool I thought that reel was back in the late 90s. I never did get around to getting one of my own, but while I was on the Skeena last fall shooting some scenes for Lani Waller's new DVD I got to play with some Bauers and a couple of them somehow found their way into my suitcase :whoa: so I just had to use them this fall. The MSL7 and MX5 performed great for me on the Thompson and I'm thinking I just might have to send the folks at Bauer a cheque now that I've decided I have to keep 'em.

Dan Bailey Waders: after reading on the Speypages how great these are I had to find out for myself. So, I bought some. Then so did kush, Poul, and Sandi. Among us we have a lot of hours on these things (Poul has the most, followed closely by kush) and still no leaks. Yes they are bare bones, utilitarian waders without fancy pockets and stuff...but darn it they work!

Gear Keepers: these are heavy-duty retractors made by Hammerhead Industries. I think my firefighting brother in law has similar things on his turnout coat. Anyways, I have 3 different sizes--one for a wading staff, one for a landing net, and one for vest gadgets.

Jeff Putnam's Spey Video Series: California casting instructor Jeff Putnam has put together a series of instructional DVDs for the Speycaster, including one in hi-definition. Does a nice job of taking you from the basics through advanced over the 3 discs. His sections on Skagit Casting are particularly useful.

Let My People Go Surfing
: Yvon Chouinard's excellent autobiography. Read it. Live it.

Monteith Speycaster Multi-System: this is an interesting new line out of Scotland. It allows you to vary the head length of your Speyline. It shows some initial promise and I'll report back again once I've had more time with it.

Patagonia Deep Wading Jacket, Riverwalker boots and Packvest: I've been through a lot of jackets and boots over the years--these are the best so far. The Packvest made it really easy to fish and carry around an expensive Hi-Def video camera, keeping it high and dry and ready for action.

Trout Bum Diaries
: for pure fun these guys know how to make a DVD. Their Volume 1 Patagonia show made me wish I was 25 and irresponsible again, instead of 43 and irresponsible, cause back when I was 25 I had more energy. These guys are the Robert Rodriguezes of fly fishing videos, although there aren't any Spey rods in guitar cases (hey, that's a good idea for MY video!:lildevl: ).

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Dana,
What model of Dan Bailey's do you have? The most recent catalog indicates they finally have stockingfoots that will fit my size 15's, so I'm intrigued.

Thanks,

Jon

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I forgot to mention

...the Pentax Optio W10: what a great little camera! I used it to shoot the underwater stuff in the Speyapages DVDs, believe it or not! They have a new one out already which is supposed to be even better, but I sure am pleased with mine!

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
This is not fishing stuff - but it is definitely used on fishing trips. That is my new Sirius Satellite Radio... way cool stuff :smokin:

·
EAT IT!!!
338 Posts
Dana,

Second you on the waterproof digital camera. I picked up the Olympus 720 this summer. I have boat loads more pictures because I always have the thing in a positon to grab it and snap a shot or two. No more digging through zip locks and being totally paranoid that the camera is going to get wet. The pictures quality is decent, it is not DLSR, but the shots you get simply because it is RIGHT THERE more than make up for it.

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
This is not fishing stuff - but it is definitely used on fishing trips. That is my new Sirius Satellite Radio... way cool stuff :smokin:
along those lines, my ipod kicks ass in the truck. it plugs right into my auxillary input in my stero and away i go. dont need to haul around 100+ cds anymore!

although i think satellite radio is next on my list so i can pick up on the various games and news when im outside of am reception which is quite often.

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
I don't know who has them locally, but I think Kaufmann's has them, right Ryan?

yep yep. i would be more then happy to ship them via USPS to Canada...it is nothing more then a quick trip to the Post Office.

$199.95.

i, like dana and tyler, have put my Bailey Lightweights through the ringer and they've held up really well. Durability-wise, they are the best value.

·
Registered
111 Posts
another vote for the DB waders

I have been using mine almost daily for almost a year now, and the only leak is from a brush stob that poked a hole in them. Quick fix with ultra flex took care of the leak. My wading shoes haven't been dry in over a year, so that will tell you how much water time these terrific waders have had so far.
SA

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Sandy.

Get ahold of Mike Cummins ( poppy) at the Red Shed fly shop in Idaho. You will not find a better price nor service from anyone south of the border.

I haven't seen Baileys up here, but Mike is your man for sure.

He is one of the site sponsors and one hell of a good guy. You can't go wrong with him or the waders.

Cheers
Paul

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
UW camera...

...the Pentax Optio W10: what a great little camera! I used it to shoot the underwater stuff in the Speyapages DVDs, believe it or not! They have a new one out already which is supposed to be even better, but I sure am pleased with mine!
The newer Pentax Optio W20 isn't that much of an advance (7mp instead of 6mp), but looks like a useful tool for fishing photos, mainly as you don''t have to worry about it getting wet.

On the list to acquire.

Mike

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
W20

Same price ~$300 (£155 for W10 to £159 for W20) here in UK via a famous shopping website (not located in the Amazon jungle).

Mike

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
fly boxes

as something of a minimalist onstream, I've really come to like a single medium SA C&F preslit foam box in summer. Lots of flies can be packed into it, and a spare leader fits underneath the removable foam.

Similarly for winter I bought a Cliff's bugger barn, similar dense foam, but a larger box (bigger in winter for bigger winter flies, and more lost flies). The foam slits were too far apart on this, so using a straight edge and razor I sliced an extra set of slits in between the factory slits, doubling capacity. Many flies can be packed into a single box, and even with weight, won't wriggle free.

my Wheatley swingleaf sits on the sidelines...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Monteith Multi Tip System

Dana,

Have you tried out The Monteith system yet. Ive had one for a month or so now and it is without doubt the best Multi Tip I have cast. Makes the Windcutter and Delta look like old bits of rope!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm interested in learning more about the Monteith system

1 - 20 of 21 Posts