Tail: GP crest topped with King Fisher
Butt: Purple Ostrich
Body: Dark pink, purple and black dubbing
Rib: Pearl Mylar with silver oval
Hackle: Purple blue ear pheasant
Collar: Purple
Wing: Turkey
Checks: JC

Attach the Dacron for the eye and wrap the thread to the rear of the hook trapping the Dacron as you go. Secure in a length of tinsel and continue wrapping locking the tinsel in as you go. Wrap the tinsel forward to create the tag.

Secure in a crest feather for the tail and top with small blue feather. Secure in the Ostrich and wrap to form the butt.

Secure in a length of oval tinsel, followed by pearl Mylar. Build a dubbing loop with the tying thread. Load the dubbing and give it a spin.

Dub the first third of the body and secure. Build a second dubbing loop, advance the tying thread to the mid joint. Secure in the body hackle at the mid joint and advance the tying thread to the eye.

Load the dubbing loop and give it a spin. Dub the remaining two sections of the body. Bring the Mylar tinsel forward making 5 open wraps. The silver oval tinsel follows the Mylar on the rearward edge. Bring the hackle forward and secure.

Secure in a hackle and wrap as a collar

Set the wing making sure the two strips of turkey do not overlap

Add some cheeks of Jungle Cock, build up a small head, and whip finish. A little cement and this one is ready for the swing.

·
seaterspey
2,198 Posts
She's a beauty! Love purple flies and nice wing set! I really think that Dee flies are my favorite. Caught my first steelhead on a Dunt maybe that's why.

KC

·
Registered
269 Posts
I don't think that'll work at all. Not even on a bright day swung through those long seams on the tail outs.... ;)

Nice work!

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Nice flee
Did the hook need heat? or is it straight with some file work?
I've done this with this hook also & was wondering the same

Heat, then re-tempered. Kind of a pain to make the hook, but I do like the shape
Marty - it looks like after straightening you might have taken a bit of the tapered loop off. Do you heat the hook in any special way to control temperature? I ask because of finding out the hard way that the tempering doesn't come back the same. That is unless you can match exactly how it was done at the foundry and so it is best to remove a bit of the taper section.

·
Grandpa Howard
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I heat the eye of the hook with a flame. I bring it to a cherry red before bending the eye straight. I work a fast as I can to keep the heat from traveling down to the bend. When I have the hook looking the way I want it to I let it air cool. I then reheat it to a blood red and plung it into a bath of used motor oil. I then place it in an oven set at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. I do shorten the hook just a bit. Yes it's a little labor intensive but it dose add to the construction of the fly.

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Absolutely - It is a nice hook for Dees - only wish it was offered one size longer though - not necessarily larger. I got the same sequence for Andrew Marshall's How-to-101.

Again Marty - sweet Dee. Best of luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts