Discussion Starter #1
starting to get my groove back slightly
still tying a bit too fast.
any tips or comments always welcome.

the roof separated on me! grrr...

·
Registered
895 Posts
Yeah, Paulie's back in the groove!! More than slightly!!!

And apparently you do love your BM wings, because that is outstanding!!

Good stuff,

-Bill

·
Registered
637 Posts
Nice

Paul, especially so with ur speys i have noticed a real change with excellent balance , proportion and technique..nice work
David

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Since you asked for tips, I'll provide a few suggestions.

The spey fly's wing is just a tad long. Spey fly wings don't extend beyond the hook bend. Don't believe me, Pryce-Tanatt is very particular about spey fly wing length in his book. Spey fly wings vary in length from the hook bend, to barely past the end of the body.

The tinsel tip on the spey fly is way too long. A tip is just that, a very short/small section of tinsel to give a spot of flash at the rear of the body. With medium flat tinsel like you used, 2 turns of it are plenty.

The other fly with the GP crest topping (simply called a topping by salmon fly tyers) is too long. A topping should either end at the tip of the tail, or end a bit short of the end of the tail.

These three minor changes will make a major improvement in the look of your flies.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since you asked for tips, I'll provide a few suggestions.

The spey fly's wing is just a tad long. Spey fly wings don't extend beyond the hook bend. Don't believe me, Pryce-Tanatt is very particular about spey fly wing length in his book. Spey fly wings vary in length from the hook bend, to barely past the end of the body.

The tinsel tip on the spey fly is way too long. A tip is just that, a very short/small section of tinsel to give a spot of flash at the rear of the body. With medium flat tinsel like you used, 2 turns of it are plenty.

The other fly with the GP crest topping (simply called a topping by salmon fly tyers) is too long. A topping should either end at the tip of the tail, or end a bit short of the end of the tail.

These three minor changes will make a major improvement in the look of your flies.
you da man russ! i always believe you, you have taught me a lot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts