Spey Pages banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried a Tri color first, started the hackle at the wrong spot. Should have been at end of blue seal, blue eared would have been better. Aarons burnt spey hackle, was killer to work with but dont like it on this fly. And the head got away from me but the fish wont care.
Next is a Balmoral not to bad, tail is a little week, little heavy on seal, the J C was fighting me but the wings and head came out ok. Lets have it?

Attachments

·
Dom
3,156 Posts
I like it! I assume you use metal flat tinsel? What hook is this, I think it fits these two very very nicely.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
nice ....

The wing set looks great!

Noting your critical nature and "lets have it", what I would consider is a smaller tail and look at a steady-strong-even tension on the flat tinsel. Sometimes to help with the body proportions, I will draw it on a card, so I know where to change colours and where I want the tinsel to come across. A *little* prep work before the big effort.

I believe the most important thing with a Dee is the wing set, and looks like you got it. The JC is fine to.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Very nicely done ! Good looking hooks

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
these are great! you could have gone lighter with the seal or worried more about tinsel spacing (i use a ruler and mark with a sharpie where my hackle will start, 1st turn, 3rd turn etc) but the reality is if they are going in the water they are great flies! i am really impressed with these as it normally takes someone a while to get things really right on Dee proportions. Also burnt goose is tough to keep a small head since the stem is so thick so dont beat yourself up on that... last thing im wondering is WHAT IS THAT HOOK?!?!? I LOVE IT!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
oh and I personally love long tails! look at the stuff tied by Mike (gr8lakes flyer) he ties two long tails forked like a snakes tongue, trust me they look amazing in the water!!

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guy's, hook is Harison Bartleet Long Dee 2/0. I've been working on on less seal but I need to get some white thread as my red(its all I use) shows through a little on the yellow. The JC wants to face down not out to me and has been the hardest part on these. I just tied up a Dunt but need some more finish before I post. Again thanks and keep the tips coming I like the card idea!!
Oh ya I'm getting the hooks from John at mcfeathers, and the cinnamon Turcky from Aaron at aofeathers.. Thank you both!!!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Not sure if you're doing this with the jc but instead of peeling the fibers off the base cut them close, it helps stop the feather from rolling, gives traction if you will

·
Dom
3,156 Posts
Geallic 6xl or Partridge long? I've heard these two are the same, but I ask because I want to compare the two. I use Harrison Bartleet as well (regular lenght), they all have a lovely shape and finish is somewhat bad but I think it gives the fly a lot of character. Ditch goose and try burning turkey tails or long bep. Once again... these are very nice!

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just wanted to try the new stuff from Aaron is the best stuff as far as burnt stuff goes, but deff not like heron or bep which is what I should have used .Gaelick Supreme, thanks for the tip for the JC Jab I will try that next time!

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Pearsalls silk floss is a great underbody thread. Lays very flat and builds very nicely. I don't do them very much anymore but for what I have done it does a nice job. Biggest problem is the tiny spool size, so I use a midge bobbin

·
Administrator
19,089 Posts
Some very good advice here already by everyone.
Long forked tails are whimsical and I enjoy tying mine as such. The long topping tails just glow and wreak havoc on any run or pool.
It's not mentioned in any literature, however for aesthetic purposes, try to keep the tail laying low, this will keep the veiling from surpassing/crossing the tail on the bend.
Your JC nails are perfect on the Tri-colour, 1/3 the body. The JC nails on the Balmoral are 1/2 the body length and are too long ... try to keep the JC at 1/3. Not all JC nails have to droop on this style of fly. They are still considered as cheeks and can be tied in parallel to the shank as to follow the style of Mr. Brown.
I agree, a darker heron grey, along the lines of BEP would have complimented the Tri-colour well. Nevertheless it will fish very well for you !!
In my opinion, the shades you chose for the Balmoral are spot on to follow the vintage dressing of Mr. Garden :smokin:
These are the shades I tie my Balmorals with as well and I must say out of all of the Dee flies that I tie, the Balmoral is by far my greatest producer !!
I will mention that you did forget the black ostrich herl butt :roll:
As a variant of this fly and also an excellent producer of mine, try long black coque hackle starting at the blue seal towards the head and then have two wraps of BEP blood plume, then followed by 1-2 wraps of teal :smokin:
Again, I often add an "Eagle" twist to this style fly, especially for cold water applications. Just try to keep the overall dressing sparse as this style dictates, they fish very well when tied thin and sparse as in the old ways.
The profiles of both your offerings are excellent, well done !!
These will hunt very well for you and you should have maximum confidence in them where ever you may fish them :)

Mike

·
Dom
3,156 Posts
Yes, I do believe Balmoral calls for ostrich butt. Good eye!

·
Spey Hack
153 Posts
Your dees are killer compared to mine but I think I can ofer some help. Pinching the rachis with flat pliers is key to get they to sit right in my opinion. I do this with tons of feathers. It makes them easier to set and also makes for a smaller head (Or whatever area it is). Also, a very good alternative to dubbing with thread is floss. Most people have a wide variety of floss colors to match their dubbing. I tie in a doubled over piece and put a knot in the end to create a dubbing loop. It also seems to hold the seal much better becuase of the surface area but you cant twist as much therefor you get about the same result.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Very nice Dee style flies! Do you need to use barbless where you fish? Here in BC barbless is mandatory, so I roll my barbs prior to tying. I'm pretty good at it, but every now and then ...... It is a shame to spend time and materials it takes to tie nice flies, only to break the hook by the riverside. Your flies will fish well!

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks fellas, good eye Mike I missed the herl in the book. Cutthroat- right now its barless but come June barbs are ok(gotta cull those hatchery fish ya know) so I pinch at river side, in over 15yrs have only 1 hook break pinching. And now a Dunt

1 - 19 of 19 Posts